Michigan-Detroit

Travel Agent/ Honeymoon Booking

I am looking for a  travel agent in the Sterling Heights area. Does any one have any recommendations? I wanted to talk to one regarding booking the honeymoon. A few people have told me that is the way to go because they have some much knowledge.

If you didn't use a travel agent how did you book your honeymoon?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Travel Agent/ Honeymoon Booking

• edited December 2011
    We talked to 2 travel agents, one was Kathy with Shamrock Travel in Rochester, honestly she was pretty useless and terrible with communication.  The other was someone from Suburban Travel in Rochester, she was informative and better with communication but could not get us better deals than we could find on our own.

We checked numerous websites for months.  I am pretty against booking through discount sites after working in the hospitality industry but we found an amazing deal through Expedia.  7 nights all inclusive in Riviera Maya Mexico Preferred club suite, ocean view with jacuzzi on the balcony for $2600ish including airfare, tax, everything.  No travel agent could match it.  The travel agent was able to give us good suggestions for resorts and help us understand the differences between the few places we were considering.

Where are you looking to go?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I've only used a travel agent once -- when I went to Italy. She was in Wayne County and I don't know if she's still in business, so no help there.

I would suggest going with a travel agent if you're planning an international trip (like Europe, Asia, S. America, etc.), especially if you're trying to visit multiple places and see lots of sights. She was really helpful in booking tours and hotels for us and when we had some major trip issues and ending up  having to cancel and re-book a few months later, she was also very helpful.

However, if you're trying to just go lay on a beach somewhere, I'm all for the discount sites. I troll travelzoo.com and had really REALLY good luck last year scoring a vacation at a 5 diamond resort in Cabo. I plan to try the same strategy for the honeymoon.

Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • danigirl0719danigirl0719 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used a Travel Agent for booking our honeymoon, and it was THE BEST decision that we have made so far. If you are willing to drive to Oakland County, we used Lisa Simmons at World of Travel! Her office is located at telegraph and long lake. She was so fantastic, she answered every question I had and more. I would recommend her to everyone. I will be using her for every trip we take from this point forward. We haven't taken our Honeymoon yet, we are leaving November 29, so I could let you know more then. But, as far as planning was concerned she was wonderful! Hope this helps! 

• edited December 2011
    I have never used a travel agent; FI and I travel a lot and are pretty comfortable booking directly.

That said, if you don't travel much, it might be worth it, depending on where you want to go.  Going somewhere unusual or that requires a lot of coordination?  Hire a travel agent.  Going to a Carribbean island?  That's probably something you can figure out online by yourself for cheaper.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    opppss.. Lisa Simon. Sorry. 
  • edited December 2011
    We talked to FIs travel agent but it wound up being so much more money to use the TA than to book ourselves. We're going to Hawaii for our HM so it was pretty easy to book (car, flight, resorts). The TA did help us narrow down our resort choices on the islands, but we did the rest (haha - free help!). We booked our resorts through VRBO; saved a ton of money and got top-of-the-line accommodations. We are starting to plan our trip to Italy for next year and will definitely be using a TA. That's my rule, I'll book US travel, but use a TA for international. Where are you planning for your HM?
  • edited December 2011
    We are looking to go somewhere in the Caribbean. I would prefer to stay out of Mexico. I guess I am looking for a travel agent to help me narrow down resorts and tell me more information then the websites do. Once I find the resort i plan on comparing the TA prices to the internet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_travel-agent-honeymoon-booking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:88Discussion:c34ccdb3-accb-4c2d-9934-91a4006f3d3fPost:219b0416-ef8f-400c-8640-07818cb47fc0">Re: Travel Agent/ Honeymoon Booking</a>:
    [QUOTE]We used a Travel Agent for booking our honeymoon, and it was THE BEST decision that we have made so far. If you are willing to drive to Oakland County, we used Lisa Simmons at World of Travel! Her office is located at telegraph and long lake. She was so fantastic, she answered every question I had and more. I would recommend her to everyone. I will be using her for every trip we take from this point forward. We haven't taken our Honeymoon yet, we are leaving November 29, so I could let you know more then. But, as far as planning was concerned she was wonderful! Hope this helps! 
    Posted by danigirl0719[/QUOTE]

What is the name of the place she is at or do you have any of her contact information? I googled her name and didn't really come up with anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovetruly06lovetruly06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_travel-agent-honeymoon-booking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:c34ccdb3-accb-4c2d-9934-91a4006f3d3fPost:6571ef20-646b-473a-900e-379fa1c3321d">Re: Travel Agent/ Honeymoon Booking</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>We booked our resorts through VRBO; saved a ton of money and got top-of-the-line accommodations</strong>.
    Posted by rcj2rcd[/QUOTE]<div>
       THIS! I so second and third VRBO it's not funny. I looked around alot to find our honeymoon cabin in Tennesee. I never really considered going through a TA but that just me I wanted something more out of the way instead of a resort. </div><div>  After looking around for ever FMIL suggested looking there, because thats where they got there vacation cabin the year before and they loved it. 
      We found our "cabin" it really more of a home, on VRBO it's further up the mountain no in a resort and it's costing us under $800.</div><div>
    </div><div> I guess it depends on where you going.</div>
    image165 Invited
    image9 are ready to party
    image0 Aren't coming
    image156 Can't find their mail box
    RSVP Deadline: September 19th

I will make mistakes
    I will face heartache
    On Christ the Solid Rock I stand All other ground is sinking sand I will not be moved Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio/ Blog
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lisa Simon works at World of Travel in Bloomfield Hills, MI. Her email is lisa@askouragents.com.  
  • edited December 2011
    We had an excellent TA her name is Karen Hintze and she is through Complete Travel in Troy.She was able to do everything cheaper than we found and she was so super nice and organized! So helpful!
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do a lot of research online for my job, so it's natural for me to just google everything I need. Not sure if a travel agent would have saved me money, but I also have enough miles through Delta that I got my RT airfare to California for $5.

I'm not "anti-travel agents". For people who don't have the time to research on their own, and look for the best options for them, I'm sure it's helpful.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards