Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?

I'm trying to write out a script for the band for our wedding and I just can't seem to remember when the money dance occurs during the reception.  Any ideas?

Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?

• Options
    Never. Please skip this. Asking guests for money is very tacky.
  • Options
    Ditto Libby. Seriously, skip it. This is so so so tacky. 
  • Options
    beardownbchsbeardownbchs member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Ditto never. Horrifyingly tacky. Having a keg and charging people $5.00 for the solo cup would look better than this.
  • Options
    Add me to the "Absolutely do not do this" list.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:aac059a5-e32f-4716-85e1-c8832546d506">The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm trying to write out a script for the band for our wedding and I just can't seem to remember when the money dance occurs during the reception.  Any ideas?
    Posted by quirkycajun[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It should never occur.  Haven't your guests spent enough money on you already?

</div>
  • Options
    Keep your fingers out of your guest's pockets. This tacky tradition needs to die out already.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:10467dd7-ac6e-4958-9f67-405c2ffa57b0">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]However, some people on these boards have suggested doing a "well-wishes" dance as a substitute Why is a substitute "needed"????  Just don't do it at all! The bride and groom don't need an excuse to dance with their guests. They should be doing it anyway.  It's called being a good host.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Out of family obligation/guilt. I have a crazy family and if I don't follow some traditions I would get chewed out. Thankfully this isn't one of ours. I know some people on these boards are more comfortable standing up to family than others like myself
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Every wedding we'd been to besides ours had the money dance. Apparently it's common in my circle. Every time we went to a wedding that had it, H and I rolled our eyes and took a bathroom break. We always thought it was so tacky. We were the only one of our friends to not have it and guess what? No one asked why we didn't. No one said they missed it. No one came up requesting it.

I really think the majority of people go along with this because they say it's "tradition" but secretly roll their eyes while doing it and that most guests roll their eyes too but don't say anything because pointing out something tacky to a friend is also awkward. So the vicious cycle continues. BREAK THE CYCLE. We did and everyone lived to tell the tale. You truly just want to dance with your guests? Awesome. Go do it for free.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    If you want to have one, have one.  I'm from Wisconsin and I have never been to a wedding without one.  It's practically expected here.  I don't understand why everyone on here feels the need to tell people what they can and cannot do at their weddings.  If you think its tacky, great, you're not going to their wedding and you'll be fine.  But if they're not asking your opinion on whether or not something is tacky... why bother?
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:a9f1f28c-8484-4c1f-ad52-51dbe7f09e3a">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to have one, have one.  I'm from Wisconsin and I have never been to a wedding without one.  It's practically expected here.  I don't understand why everyone on here feels the need to tell people what they can and cannot do at their weddings.  If you think its tacky, great, you're not going to their wedding and you'll be fine.  But if they're not asking your opinion on whether or not something is tacky... why bother?
    Posted by JeaMarie[/QUOTE]

Because asking your guests for more money on top what was already bought in the form of travel, hotel room, and gift is rude.  There are no two ways about it.  This isn't an opinion, it is a fact.  It's not a regional question, it is an etiquette question.  It is not wedding question, it is a moral question.

That is why everyone "feels the need to tell people." 
  • Options
    Another vote for no. Just go without. I PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE no one will miss it.
  • Options
    I've only seen this at a wedding once and I think it was around the cake cutting but not sure if it was before or after.
  • Options
    Soliciting people for money should be reserved for charities.  You aren't a charity, you are a bride.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:a9f1f28c-8484-4c1f-ad52-51dbe7f09e3a">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to have one, have one.  I'm from Wisconsin and I have never been to a wedding without one.  It's practically expected here.  I don't understand why everyone on here feels the need to tell people what they can and cannot do at their weddings.  If you think its tacky, great, you're not going to their wedding and you'll be fine.  But if they're not asking your opinion on whether or not something is tacky... why bother?

<div>Having gone to two Wisconsin weddings- one had it, and they had to practically beg people to dance with them. I think their bridal party and parents did it. The other wedding did not have a dollar dance and everyone was very happy. </div><div>
    </div><div>Just don't do it.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:aac059a5-e32f-4716-85e1-c8832546d506">The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm trying to write out a script for the band for our wedding and I just can't seem to remember when the money dance occurs during the reception.  Any ideas?
    Posted by quirkycajun[/QUOTE]

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_dance" rel="nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_dance</a>
  • Options
    I'm planning on having it about 30 - 45 min before end of reception.  Time may still change as I'm 2.5 months out.  It is common in my area.  I live in central Texas.  My family is white & fiance is hispanic.
  • Options

<div>
    </div><div>Everyone has them where i am from too.   If people at the wedding think its tacky they dont have to involve themselves in it.  Its 4 min of the reception and its a dollar!! </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:a4d31890-7c86-4b7f-997b-65878e3f4ba9">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception? : Everyone has them where i am from too.   If people at the wedding think its tacky they dont have to involve themselves in it.  Its 4 min of the reception and its a dollar!! 
    Posted by amberdawn2344[/QUOTE]

Right, they don't have to involve themselves. They can just side eye you behind your back.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:a4d31890-7c86-4b7f-997b-65878e3f4ba9">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception? : Everyone has them where i am from too.   If people at the wedding think its tacky they dont have to involve themselves in it.  Its 4 min of the reception and its a dollar!! 
    Posted by amberdawn2344[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Just go away</div>
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:a9f1f28c-8484-4c1f-ad52-51dbe7f09e3a">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:

I totally Agree! If you want to have one, have one. If people do not want to participate they are not obligated in any way. I've been to several weddings and I'd say it was half and half with people who did and people who didnt have it. BUT every time I've seen it done there was a long line. 

As a guest I would get in line because I understand the expenses that go into a wedding, and even more so now. No one is forcing the guests to get in line, but the Bride and Groom, assuming they've paid for a majority if not all of the wedding, are typically broke by the time the wedding arrives. I say the dollar dance is a fun way to spend some one on one time with your guests as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_the-money-dance-when-does-it-occur-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fbca0288-25bd-4a93-8aaa-4d42c7e3131cPost:37784405-b12b-4d92-914d-503f08d13e3d">Re: The Money Dance-When does it occur during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bride and Groom, assuming they've paid for a majority if not all of the wedding, are typically broke by the time the wedding arrives. I say the dollar dance is a fun way to spend some one on one time with your guests as well. The guests aren't responsible for paying the couple's bills! They attended the wedding, which may involve travel expenses and perhaps time off work, and probably purchased a wedding gift. Some gave shower gifts. The couple now wants to soak them for some cash??? The bride and groom should be dancing with them anyway. If they aren't, they're not being good hosts.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Again, i say, if the guest do NOT want to participate, they are NOT obligated. We find this to be a fun part of the night. Some people make it into a game or an "auction" so to speak. I've had a great time at a lot of receptions with dollar dances
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards