Massachusetts

Vendors Questions:

Hello.

I am planning a wedding in Central MA. The wedding is being held in Webster, but I live in West Boylston. I have a few questions about vendors people have used:

1. Has anyone found a place that makes Red Velvet Cake? I really love Red Velvet but it seems nearly impossible to find!!

2. I am looking for photography services that aren't outrageous for the wedding. All I really want is someone professional taking pictures there for about 8 hours, and a CD with rights to the images. I don't need the fancy leatherbound book, or 10 photos of my choice in various sizes. (If I want I can always make copies with the CD images) Any help here?

3. I don't even know where to begin looking for a good inexpensive DJ... any help is appreciated in this aspect. Any recomenndations are great!

Thanks!

Re: Vendors Questions:

• edited December 2011
    I THINK the bakery I'm using does it...Greggory's in South Hadley, MA. I'm just not sure if they would go out to that area.

For a DJ- I'm using Steve Grindle- I think we're paying 950 for the ceremony and reception which is a total of 7 hours or so.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I live in West Boylston too! Have you talked to the people at Gerardo's? They might make red velvet cake. 

Are you sure you want coverage for 8 hours? My photographer talked me out of coverage for 6 hours because it ends up being the same picture over and over.  Plus you end up with 1,000 pictures.  Just something to think about.  Maybe you want an hour of getting ready, the hour for your ceremony, and 3 hours of your formals and receptions.  That's 5 hours and significantly less money! My photographer is out of NH, but she is traveling to Sturbridge for my wedding.  I just have to pay her for travel, which is about 44 cents per mile.  For $1,000 it's 5 hours and all the rights.

www.pixelperfectweddings.com

Where are you getting married in Webster? Does the venue have any suggestions?

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    For Photo, try John LoConte www.johnlophoto.com. For 8 hours with the CD aand all printing rights its $1200
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hellokatie0517, where are you getting married in Sturbridge??? I am also getting married in Sturbridge at the Publick House Inn 10/09/11.
  • edited December 2011
    Jfabs...I'm getting married at the Publick House too! Our date is 11.5.11. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Cake: The Bean Counter in Shrewsbury makes red velvet cake.  Alice is the baker, great personality and will do anything you want for your cake.  Reasonably priced too.

Photos: Kelly MacDonald does exactly what you are looking for.  In fact, she doesn't even do albums http://www.kellymacdonaldphotography.com/
    she did my sisters wedding and is doing mine!  Little pricey but AMAZING talent!

DJ - I thought I was going to go with inexpensive until I realized that s/he is the entertainment centerpiece of the wedding and a mediocre DJ will make for a mediocre wedding.  That's one area I highly recommend you don't scrimp!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Red Velvet was our top cake choice - we are getting our cake through Atkins Farm (they are also doing our flowers and our favors).  The red velvet is good, but the cream cheese frosting is AMAZING.  The only thing with Atkins is that they won't ice the tiered cake in cream cheese frosting.  We are doing a three tier with a sheet cake on the side, and the sheet cake will be red velvet with the cream cheese frosting.  Greggory's also does red velvet.  We did a taste testing at both Greggory's and Atkins - if I remember correctly I liked the red velvet cake at Greggory's better, but the icing at Atkins better.  Greggory's ended up being about twice as expensive, so we went with Atkins.

Not much help with photography - that is our big splurge for the wedding and we are using a photographer that we have followed for years out of Boston.

For a DJ - we are using After Hours, and the service has been PHENOMENAL.  They get great reviews and I would highly recommend them.  They run $1199 for 5 hours, and $150 for the ceremony.  After doing some research, I also came across a highly recommended more reasonable DJ - www.musicbymelee.com - I think I remember seeing that he charges $100/hour, but apparently he books up quickly.  We were going to meet with him and After Hours and see if it was worth paying twice as much, but he had already booked for our date more than a year out.  Most of the other DJs that we found that came recommended were in a similar range as After Hours, but they just blew us away with their customer service.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards