Outdoor Weddings
Options

How do you keep the bugs away!?

We are getting married outside in a couple weeks, and it has been rainy and humid here in Tennessee. (Hoping that wil go away by then!) Everytime we are working on anything outside we are swarmed by mosquitos and various other bugs. Anyone have any good ideas for keep them away from our wedding guests during the ceremony and reception? Other than putting those tiki torch things everywhere...? Do those actually work? 

Re: How do you keep the bugs away!?

• Options
    I've seen some cute things on Pinterest for this. Call it a "comfort station" and place cans of OFF and bottles of water if its going to be hot.
  • Options
    Can you spray the area? We did this for a large picnic recently and it worked great  Just double do it.
  • Options
    Citronella candles and tiki torches do work.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Citronella and tiki torches for sure. Make sure you haven't mowed the area for 24 hours so the bugs settle down...if you mow the grass right before the ceremony (assuming its a grassy area), all the bugs will get stirred up. Also, if you decide to spray the area, make sure you spray a couple hours before the start of your event so the smell (and taste) clear the air!
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com
  • Options
    I've heard lemons with cloves works wonders. Here's a post I ofund about it. http://www.creativetimeforme.com/2011/08/fridays-tip-of-day-episode-227.html 
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Tiki torches def work. I would also invest in this bug spray called "Ortho Max"--spray it everywhere (underneath chairs, outline of aisle rug, in between rows, etc) a couple hours before and then top it with the OFF spray and I guarantee you won't see any bugs at all.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!! Looks like I have a few options to try! Now if we can find the tiki torches and citronella for sale somewhere... I imagine it's a little off season for stores to be selling that stuff. 
  • Options
    Along with what everyone else has said, make sure there is no standing water. My neighbors put a pool in once and didn't add any chemicals to the water. I was eaten alive that year. Check ALL areas. Water is a breeding grounds for mosquitos. Check under decks if there is one, check tire swings, pots, bird baths, gutters, etc. They don't need a lot of water to make a ton of mosquitos.

On a side note, my step-dad has smoked an area before for a picnic. I'm not sure what that entails, but it's worth looking it up.

Hope all goes well :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards