Honeymoon Discussions

Cant decide where to go, Europe

Any suggestions on a week in Europe. Italy? London? Paris? Greece? Spain? I have no clue I have never been anywhere! We want to sight see and relax when we want to. Thanks!

Re: Cant decide where to go, Europe

• I've done two trips to Europe.

I went to Berlin and Prague for 14 days, total. Very different, but wonderful cities. Berlin has a lot of new mixed in with the old, is large, has a lot to see and do. Prague has very old, picturesque architecture. A lot of people will tell you it's the (or one of the) most beautiful capitals in Europe. However, I don't know if I would have been comfortable going somewhere on my own, my first time out of the country, not speaking the language (I was with a tour group of about 20 people).

My husband and I went to the UK in August 2009. We spent 4 nights in London, then 5 nights in Edinburgh. My husband had always want to go to Festival Fringe, which is a HUGE arts and cultural festival and runs almost the whole month of August. We also did a day trip from Edinburgh out to Glasgow, Loch Lomond and Stirling Castle. We also saw some local stuff - Edinburgh castle, went on a ghost tour, did a bunch of Scotch tasting. We loved the whole trip. Edinburgh was more laid-back than London (much, much smaller and more walkable), but both were great. I'd go back to either. Actually, we'd love to go explore more of Scotland in the future, now that we drink scotch!

Our next trip will definitely be Paris. I'd estimate, based on what I've done in London and Berlin, that we'll want to spend a minimum of a week there.

I will say that Europe, for me, is much more about the culture and experience than about relaxing. London involved a LOT of walking (8-12 miles a day). If you're into relaxing, perhaps parts of Italy, the south of France/Monte Carlo, or Greece would work. Or even a Mediterranean cruise (you can do eastern or western or both). I hear the beaches on the Dalmation coast are nice, too.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • It really depends on the time of year.  When would you be going?
  • If you want relaxation, I would think about the Amalfi Coast in Italy.  All the other places, IMO, seem like places where you would be rushing from museum to museum trying to fit everything in in one week.  It's kinda hard to do a whole country in just one week.  I would pick a city or two at the most and focus on that area. 

Maybe you could do the Amalfi Coast with day trips to Pompeii, Capri and the other coast towns.  Either that, or maybe find a nice agrotourismo in Tuscany and you can venture into Florence and the other hill towns as day trips.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • I've been to London twice (going a 3rd time on my honeymoon) and I just absolutely LOVE it. However...it's a very fast paced city. If you're looking for relaxation on your honeymoon, then definitely go with some of the PPs suggestions, but if you're looking to walk ALOT, be very "go go go" on your honeymoon, see alot, do alot, etc etc etc...then London is definitely a great place to go!

Another place you could check out if you didn't want to be so fast paced would be Bruges, Belgium. I haven't been yet (going on my HM), but I've heard sooooo many great things about it. There's still lots of things to do, but the city is smaller, lots of little canals (it's call the Venice of the North), stuff like that. And you can always do day trips from there as well.

HTH! May is a gorgeous time of the year to go to anywhere in Europe (IMO)! =]
  • I  have been to England, France, Italy and Greece.  If you're looking to relax, I would definitely suggest Italy (Amalfi Coast) and definitely do a day trip to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius! I also enjoyed Venice and Florence, but I would probably avoid Rome. It is very touristy and we were hounded by gypsies (they will try to rob you at any opportunity).

I would also suggest island hopping in Greece. Greece has the most beautiful blue water that I've ever seen and the islands were just so laid back.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did a lot of checking around and finally decided on 4 nights in Paris, 1 in Venice (during their winter Carnivale), 5 in Florence, and 4 in Rome. That said, we're going at the end of February, so we aren't worried about too many huge crowds of tourists, etc. (except in Venice because of the Carnivale).

We've never been to Europe before and don't know when we'll be back since we have other plans for our money, so we wanted to make sure we saw the places we've always wanted to see.

That said, we don't plan on hitting many of the famous sites. Probably just Versailles and the Uffizi.. The rest of the time we'll just be wandering.. Have some coffee at a cafe here, do a little shopping there. I think it can be as relaxing or as fast paced as we'd like it to be. If we want to relax, we will. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are planning to do Europe, but are not expecting it to be relaxing at all. I've never been so I want to see many things... I think we're thinking Paris, Florence, Venice, Rome, and somewhere in Greece. Going to look into cruises. Maybe that will work for you??? Let us know what you find! Maybe the Greek Isles would be relaxing!
  • We spent 12 nigths in Italy for our honeymoon and it was amazing.  We went to Rome first and then spent 5 nights at an AWESOME hotel in Positano and then ended in Capri for 3 nights.  It was the perfect setup because we started with touristy stuff and then ended with tons of relaxation.  The Amalfi coast is awesome and Positano in particular.  Plus, Italian food is great!  Let me know if you want any hotel recommendations. 
  • I vote for France.  You could spend 4 days in Paris and 3 in Nice.  You'd get urban and coast.  May is beautiful in Paris.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards