Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: Divorce Ban

• I get why he is doing it,  but it's really impracticle.  To me annulement and divorce is the same thing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • YES!  I saw the headline on yahoo news this morning, and thought, "What, are they crazy?"  ::click on the link::  "Oh, hahaha!"
  • I don't think he's even remotely serious about getting it passed- it's more of a political statement.
  • As I see it, annulment is a long-standing, church-approved way of ending a marriage, so it's in line with the "protection of traditional marriage" line he's taking. 
  • I had no idea the divorce rate was that high, what a crock. I think thats funny though.
  • I don't agree...Although I do not plan on getting divorced.  I think it should be the individuals choice for a divorce.  If my husband abused me or my children, or cheated on me why should I have to stay with him.
  • ... theyre not REALLY banning divorce marie, theyre making a statement.
  • Marie it's a statement on the whole "ban gay marriage to protect straight marriage" thing.
  • [QUOTE]I don't agree...Although I do not plan on getting divorced.  I think it should be the individuals choice for a divorce.  If my husband abused me or my children, or cheated on me why should I have to stay with him.
    Posted by marie2009[/QUOTE]

Really?
  • I thought the same thing when I saw the headline.  But I like his thinking.  My only fear is that some groups will take him seriously and throw money at it to push it through and make it law. 
  • I love it.

It is even more comical when people do not understand the sentiment behind it.  
  • The guy makes a good point.  Some people don't seem to understand that it is perfectly OK to date and break up, and date again. You don't have to marry someone and then divorce them just to marry another person and divorce them... Stupid!

I believe Ireland has a ban on divorce - there are no divorces allowed unless there are some forms of abuse in place... I am not sure, but from what my friend told me, it pays to stay married in Ireland.

• Big shock that Marie either didn't read or didn't comprehend the article.

I've been saying for years that if gays can't marry to "protect the sanctity of marriage," then we should ban celebrities from marrying.  Celebs are the real threat to the sanctity of marriage.
  • Ummm Jakiela, his point has nothing whatsoever to do with whatever you think divorce is.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorce-ban?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b52bcf5d-ca5b-47e4-a83a-3ec3b4d8d136Post:c0ca604f-f7cc-408f-9ffd-8791fce5f7ec">Re: Divorce Ban</a>:
    [QUOTE]Big shock that Marie either didn't read or didn't comprehend the article. I've been saying for years that if gays can't marry to "protect the sanctity of marriage," then we should ban celebrities from marrying.  Celebs are the real threat to the sanctity of marriage.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]
    Everything you said here is the truth.
  • Ireland used to ban divorces but you can get divorced now.  For about 10 years now. 

Celebs and anyone who doesn't think you have to work hard at a marriage or relationship is a threat.  Not whether you are gay or straight. 
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorce-ban?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b52bcf5d-ca5b-47e4-a83a-3ec3b4d8d136Post:c0ca604f-f7cc-408f-9ffd-8791fce5f7ec">Re: Divorce Ban</a>:
    [QUOTE] I've been saying for years that if gays can't marry to "protect the sanctity of marriage," then we should ban celebrities from marrying.  Celebs are the real threat to the sanctity of marriage.
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Competley agree and include any reality show that make it part of the game to marry people.
  • ....that is so full of awesome.  And I totally agree with the sentiment behind this whole thing.  I think it's hilarious that gays getting married will somehow ruin the sanctity of marriage, but an almost 50% divorce rate nationwide is just A-okay.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Huh.  I just typed out an entire response to this an it's gone.  Lovely.

The 50% divorce rate is often thrown about but most people don't really understand what they're throwing about.

To calculate the 50% divorce rate, you take the number of marriages that happen in a year and divide that by the number of divorces that happen in that same year.  Thus, the prediction is that 1/2 of the marriages in that year will fail.

Now, if you think about this, you'll realize that the number of people getting married this year is kind of unrelated to the number of people getting divorced.  Sure, you may have a few marriages that fail within the first year, but for the most part, marriages make it through the first year.

It's awful hard to track the number of divorces per year, and then you'd see stats like, "For those married in 2009, the divorce rate is 10%, for those married in 1990, the divorce rate is 15%," which again doesn't really mean a lot.

So, like most stats, you really need to be aware of what you're quoting and how they came to that number.

• Moose - it is in the AW post.

And I thought the same thing when I saw that stat.
  • Ha.  Wow, I'm clever.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorce-ban?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b52bcf5d-ca5b-47e4-a83a-3ec3b4d8d136Post:df041215-2657-41e7-b20f-249729c0297b">Re: Divorce Ban</a>:
    [QUOTE]The guy makes a good point.  Some people don't seem to understand that it is perfectly OK to date and break up, and date again. You don't have to marry someone and then divorce them just to marry another person and divorce them... Stupid! I believe Ireland has a ban on divorce - there are no divorces allowed unless there are some forms of abuse in place... I am not sure, but from what my friend told me, it pays to stay married in Ireland.
    Posted by e_jakiela[/QUOTE]

Um, an the reason we allow divorce for any reason is to make it easier for people to get away fro bad, bad relationships. Many women are very reluctant to go to the authorities over abuse or rape. Forcing more paperwork and shifting the burden of proof to them would mean that more women would stay with their abusers since it would be easier.

I don't know how we got onto serious topics, but I love this dude! I also got something in the mail yesterday from an organization I donated to who is trying to reverse Prop 8!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorce-ban?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b52bcf5d-ca5b-47e4-a83a-3ec3b4d8d136Post:916fe41b-3fe3-4fdc-9ba2-016d29f13a32">Re: Divorce Ban</a>:
    [QUOTE]Huh.  So, like most stats, you really need to be aware of what you're quoting and how they came to that number.
    Posted by wadingmoose[/QUOTE]

If only people would think- I mean REALLY think- more often about the statistics and survey results they see all the time. I saw one a few years ago that said 90% of Americans polled say they believe in God. That might be true, but which God? If a random pollster called me and asked me if I belived in God I'd say yes. However I am not a Christian. Of course, the results were being used to suggest 90% of Americans are <strong>Christians</strong>. Not the same thing... at all.
  • Oh yeah? Well, 87% of statistics are right 42% of the time.
  • I believe Ireland has a ban on divorce - there are no divorces allowed unless there are some forms of abuse in place..

Ireland is also a strongly Catholic country. Divorce is not allowed in the Catholic Church execpt under extreme circumstances like abuse or deception. But, like a pp said, it's been allowed for about 10 years now in Ireland. It was based more on religion than politics.

I love this article. It's like something John Stewart would come up with on his show. Heh.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorce-ban?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b52bcf5d-ca5b-47e4-a83a-3ec3b4d8d136Post:55fff258-c3bc-4da0-ab77-e99a867d3831">Re: Divorce Ban</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah? Well, 87% of statistics are right 42% of the time.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]
     THIS!!!!
  • Now, Vally, I know you're pulling those stats out of your ass.  I'm well aware that the most recently posted stat is that 90% of stats are wrong 18.9% of the time.

And 49.183682% of stats are made up on the spot.

• Well Moose, I do know that I have had enough of your logic for one day.

That'll be enough! Good day to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards