Christian Weddings

tithing Q

I just realized I tithe on all monitary gifts, but not usually on item gifts (this is my pattern in the past).

FI and I were discussing this the other day....he thinks it's weird to tithe on one, but not the other.

If you tithe, how do you handle gifts?  We have/will be getting a fairly substantial amount of tangible gifts, along with monitary gifts (they're already starting to come in - I'm in shock!)  Do you tithe just on the monitary gifts?  the value of tangible gifts? or not on gifts at all?

I know it's a weird question - and a personal choice at that.  I promise not to judge anyone on your answers - I'm just curious as to how other people handle it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tithing Q

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We haven't received any gifts yet, but I typically tithe 10% of my bank account.  That may change when my income becomes more than babysitting money, but that's what I was taught to do growing up.  :)  We haven't actually discussed tithing on the gifts, yet...guess I should bring that up next time we're together. :)
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't tithe gifts.  People gave the money and items to you so you can build your life together, and I think you should keep it.  If you write thank you notes, you should mention what you used it for, and it would seem dishonest to say you used the money for one thing but just gave it to the church instead.  I still think it's admirable you tithe your income, and that is generous.  For example, right now I don't tithe my income, but more because I've been unemployed for close to eight months.  Hope this helps!  :-)
  • edited December 2011
     The Lord only requires a tithe of 10% of your gross income of what you earn and anything extra would be an offering or gift. Our church is preparing to open a free clinic so I'm planning on giving a portion of our monetary wedding gifts to the clinic fund. I would suggest praying on it and see if the Holy Spirit leads you to give more I'm sure you will be blesed either way. Laughing
    Be still and know... Wedding Countdown Ticker www.weddingwire.com/teamfaison
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was not raised to tithe on gifts.  Especially tangible gifts - I wouldn't have had the money to tithe on them.  For our wedding gifts, I did not tithe.  As you said, this is a personal thing.  I give over 10% of my income between giving to my church, missions and supporting children through Compassion International so I suppose that indirectly I tithe on gifts, but I've never consciously done that.
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tithe 10% of my incoming paycheck. I do not tithe on gifts. I don't think there is anything wrong with it if you want to, but I don't think you are biblically held to it as it's a gift and not your income.
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do give when I or both of us go to church. I do not tithe because 1) I do not have a job and 2) have not been a member of a church since I moved. I have never heard of giving a tithe on gifts before now. All I know is you give what you can. It does not matter if it is money or your time.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    To be honest with you, I never heard or thought of tithing on tangible gifts. How would you know the cost to take 10% (ex. if someone got the gift on sale or not on your wedding registry).

In my personal experience, if I have received money in the past (ex. birthdays), I had not tithed on it....but then again I never thought of it. I always tithed on the money I made, not what was given to me. I saw what was given to me as a blessing.

Hope this helps.
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tithing-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0b561555-0339-4ad1-95c5-491d18c36f51Post:b9aa2000-b915-432e-8966-4e4417feeff8">Re: tithing Q</a>:
    [QUOTE] I always tithed on the money I made, not what was given to me. I saw what was given to me as a blessing. Hope this helps.
    Posted by mattycam[/QUOTE]

This is a good way to view it. When you give your time or money to someone who needs it it is a blessing to them. I would not expect someone to tithe what I gave to them.
  • edited December 2011
    FI & I always tithe 10% of any monetary income (whether it be from employment or gifts). I believe it to be especially important to tithe monetary gifts because God has put it on someone's heart (whether they know it or not) to gift you with that money, the least you can do is give Him back 10%. Just my thoughts though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with RNShelly.  From reading Lev 27:30 and Mal 3:10 (among others) I have come to understand that we're to tithe off anything we recieve from the Lord, whether income from a job He's blessed you with or a gift.  I also find it hard to figure out exactly 10% of a rice cooker or whatever, so instead, I "tithe" by using the gift to serve the Lord, showing kindness to people by cooking dinner for them or something like that.  But that's just my opinion and what I feel at peace with.

~*~Sarah~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tithing-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0b561555-0339-4ad1-95c5-491d18c36f51Post:89630741-03bc-4a90-9457-938344082ddd">Re: tithing Q</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: tithing Q :   This is a good way to view it. When you give your time or money to someone who needs it it is a blessing to them. I would not expect someone to tithe what I gave to them.
    Posted by erollis[/QUOTE]

i agree with this.

however, at times i may give extra as an offering, but not as part of my tithes. i believe tithing in the Bible is only referring to income? i could be wrong though.

i actually have a friend who believes that tithing a set amount (such as 10%) is no longer necessary because it was an OT law that didn't carry over after Christ's death and resurrection. he feels that you should only give what your heart leads you to give (like it says in that NT verse which reference i cannot remember off the top of my head...).

i'm not sure how i feel about that. i think 10% still applies, but only to income.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards