Catholic Weddings

marriage prep class

i just came back from my first marriage prep class and it was great. my FI is catholic and i am not so i was a bit nervous about what to expect. as well i didn't know how useful it would be since my FI and i have been together for a long time. but the man running the class was hilarious and the things we discussed were really practical. i had no reason to feel weird about it at all and am looking forward to the next class. as well i find couples get so wrapped up and stressed out with their wedding planning. but the class made the realize that the wedding day itself isn't as important but the lifelong marriage is what we really should be focusing on. i actually think all couples should take a marriage prep class not just catholic couples.

Re: marriage prep class

• Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That's great! We had a very similar experience and thought the class was extremely beneficial, interesting, enlightening and fun. Glad to hear others are enjoying it as well!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    but the class made the realize that the wedding day itself isn't as important but the lifelong marriage is what we really should be focusing on.

YES!    i couldnt agree more.  at the end of the day, no one cares what you ate or if your linens matched the bridesmaid gowns. 
  • edited December 2011
    Amen calypso1977! That is what I keep telling myself over and over and stay focused on. I am such a perfectionist, but I know something is bound to go wrong for the big day or whatever and I am okay with that now. I had a hard time at first, but after attending our EE weekend, they really put that into focus for me.
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed! We had a very similar experience, and are now kind of sad our classes are over. They were a great way to refocus when we were at our most stressed point in the planning process. 

One of our sessions recommended making a commitment to doing some kind of retreat or workshop once a year, every year of our marriage. We really liked that idea, and our church actually has a scheduled  "Marriage Day" once a year.  It's a day-long workshop for married couples of all ages. We are looking forward to particpating next year!
  • edited December 2011
    My Fl is catholic and I am not but I will be taking RCIA classes this Sept to become Catholic as I feel it's will be better for my family ( we have two kids who are baptized catholic) and for our selfves.

I agree with calypso1977.. I feel these classes we have taken so far have been very helpful even thought we have been together for 7 years and married civily for 2 years. We felt it was time to get married by the church as I have been studying about the Catholic ways.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

All of your comments make me feel really good. My FC and I will get our class in 3 weeks, but rather than weekly classes, we will have a weekend retreat. All my friends did it before they were married and they highly recommend it. They say a lot will come out of the experience, and that couples grow closer and stronger from it.

We are both catholics, but I'm a really active one along with my family, and he was raised catholic and just went along with for a long time, until we had the marriage talk. He was confirmed this past weekend and really looking forward not only to the retreat, but to living in community afterwards.

What happens here (I live in the Dominican Republic) is that after the retreat they split the group of couples in several cells, and those become marriage communities, that get together every so often to discuss topics that are beneficial to catholic marriages. Its great because you get surrounded by couples that are walking in the same direction that you are. Also, every year afterwards there are retreats and workshops.

I really think that all this process gives us couples tools that really help, speccially in the begining of our life together. Smile

Wedding Countdown TickerWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We just went to ours this past weekend and I couldn't agree more!
    We even said to each other more people need to do this and we plan on doing something similar perhaps every year of marriage. Even if to just meet with the instructor of the class who is a marriage counselor. Whether or not we are having problems we think it would be good to take the time to discuss our marriage as things will always be changing whether it is a move, career change, pregnancy/children, etc.

I was so happy to see how committed Fi is to this as I am, I knew he was, but to see it/hear it, it is so amazing.
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This is all good news on nervous ears -- our EE weekend is not until September, but tonight we had another meeting with the priest to go over the FOCCUS test (which evidently we're pretty compatible, yay!) and just got me thinking more on the events coming up. 

I agree, though, I find it nice to have something to re-center us on the actual MARRIAGE and preparing for that -- it's so easy to get caught up in the wedding part!  Plus, I figure it doesn't hurt to look for any wrinkles you may have missed that may need a little ironing out before the Big Day, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards