Favors

Is this tacky?

Since we are getting married at the beach, and the beach is a big part of our lives I was thinking of collecting seashells and putting them in favor bags for people to take home.  Alot of our quest will be from out of town and not from the coast, so I thought they may appreciate taking home a part of the beach were we are to be married.  But does this seem cheap or tacky?

I also collected alot of starfish that washed up during recent storms, painted them our colors.  I am going to tie ribbon to them with a tag for a favor as well. 

I am not really sure what to do with favors honestly beyond these two things.  My fiancee and I are minimalist and more sentimental than materialistic.  Any feed back will be so appreciated.

Re: Is this tacky?

• I really like the big bowl idea too.  What beach are you getting married on?
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Generally, edible favors are best.  Not to be mean, but if I were a guest at your wedding and received a bag of seashells or a starfish for a favor, if I didn't leave them behind, they would definitely not make it into my house.  I don't have any use for seashells or starfish.

But that's just me.  Your crowd may be different.
  • I disagree with Peavy. While edible favours are sure to be a hit, something that reminds the guests of you and your wedding is usually pretty awesome. Instead of a bag, though, perhaps a basket that they can keep them in at home might be better? I don't know if a dollar store might have a tiny basket for you to use. Good luck!
  • Thanks for the feed back!
  • I wouldn't call it tacky, but I would probably take this home, leave it next to the mail pile for a month and then throw it away while I'm cleaning. 

I would personally keep exploring other options.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_is-this-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:adbfd75c-5dcf-4ddf-b800-e2d74c4572e7Post:83a2a2b9-9320-4c15-a81e-87300ee413a5">Re: Is this tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Generally, edible favors are best.  Not to be mean, but if <strong>I were a guest at your wedding and received a bag of seashells or a starfish for a favor, if I didn't leave them behind, they would definitely not make it into my house</strong>.  I don't have any use for seashells or starfish. But that's just me.  Your crowd may be different.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

This.  Go edible.  You can find shell shaped candy or even cookies.  That would go over better than actual shells.
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Its whatever you like. I agree that they arent useful, but i doubt that someone would be unappreciative. what would be incredibly cool, tho i dont know your budget and idk how to make these, but to make your own candles! And put the shells into the wax while its still liqiud.
    This is just an idea tho, as i dont know how to make candles from scratch, tho im sure its easy to find out how to, and i dont know how much itll cost, but if you get little cups for the candles to go in from a dollar store, it might not cost a lot, itd be amazing for your gift, and itd be useful to your guest. 
    Your the bride tho, so its all you
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Little late, but I just had to weigh in....I don't think it's tacky at all! It's a memento that is very characteristic of  you and your wedding, that you put time and thought into. 
  • I would take it home... I have a centerpiece on my cofee table of candles with rocks and store bought seashells. I think that is a great favor.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards