April 2013 Weddings
Options

First Time Shopping

So despite my lackluster feelings on dress shopping, largely because of the stress from budget and talking with my FMIL last week, I had a really good time on Saturday. I went over to my parent's house in the morning and we did some clean up in the living room. For the last 10 years or so it's been a struggle for my parents to keep th house clean, and it started when my mom started having foot problems. It's hard for her to be on her feet for long periods of time, including doing things like cleaning the house. And I don't know about you, but when a mess gets big,sometimes it feels easier not to deal with it. Well, the living room was looking really good after a few hours, and we just waited for my Aunt Lolly. She's my dad's oldest sister, 14 years older, sort of like a second mom to him and a third grandma to me. When she finally got there we went for lunch really quickly and then headed off for my appointment. We got there just in time. As soon as we stepped through the doors I started feeling better about being there. Everything was pretty and shiney. I must have tried on at least 10 dresses...Unfortunately they didn't have any of the ones I really wanted to try, and I'm the kind of person, if I get an idea about an item in my head, I won't feel satisfied until I get to see it. There was one dress that I really liked, but it wasn't quite right. It needed a lot of modifying: take out some box pleats in the skirt, remove a layer of netting, add a belt and a brooch....There were a few dresses I tried on that were nothing like I wanted, but they were fun to try on...Feathers and poofy skirts. I had a great consultant, and I wonderful first time out. I wish I could be like some of you and other brides I have known, who try one a few dresses and are done, sometimes picking their first dress. I think since I wear dresses so often for choral performances, I'm pickier than I thought I would be. Hopefully I'll be able to get an appointment for this Saturday as well, somewhere else where they might have what I'm looking for.
Wedding Countdown Ticker
April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA

Re: First Time Shopping

• Options
    Glad you enjoyed yourself, even if you didn't find anything.  :-)

Have you checked the designers' websites of the dresses you like?  They usually tell you who carries those gowns in your area.  It will save you a lot of running around trying on things that aren't really in your heart...... unless you enjoy trying on dresses.  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • Options
    Another suggestion: If you find a designer you like go on a trunk day.. They usually have dress that they dont have at the stores that day and some ( allure  i know does this) will give you 10% off!!
    Good luck
  • Options

Thanks ladies, I did only go to stores that carried the designer I wanted. The problem with websites is they don't tell you which stores carry specific styles. So I got my dress this Saturday (see the dress post for a pic), even though it wasn't the exact style I thought I wanted. But I really love it, and the reaction it got from my enterage was perfect.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards