Snarky Brides

s/o work holiday party poll

What does your company do for your holiday work party?

What does FI/SO/H's company do?

Are they dressy or casual?

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?

One thing you would change about office holiday parties?

Re: s/o work holiday party poll

• Work party?  Holiday Party?  What are those things?  We don't have parties at my company.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party? Nothing.

What does FI/SO/H's company do? We get a case of beer.

Are they dressy or casual? n/a

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? none

One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I wish we'd have one. And there would be booze.
  • I don't know why, but this poll makes me really glad we don't have a christmas party. H is invited to a men only drink-fest each year at a bar, he doesn't drink (or really do 'guy talk'), but he goes because it's all the upper management. And the boss picks up the whole tab.
    Photobucket
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party? We used to have a dinner dance, but then the whole recession thing happened.  Now we have a lunch on the last day of work.  One year we catered it, but last year and this year it's at the Holiday Inn.

What does FI/SO/H's company do? The boss takes the guys somewhere (I have no idea where) and they drink a lot and they get candy.  They're all Polish (H is the only non-Polish guy) so there is a lot of vodka consumed.  H never drinks 'cause, well, he's got to drive home!

Are they dressy or casual? Normal work attire for me (aka casual), but maybe a bit Holiday'd up.  Him, a bit nicer than normal, as in, take a change of clothes to change out of work clothes.

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? Oh dear.  The last year my company had a dinner dance I got absolutely plastered.  Like, literally falling down drunk and making inappropriate comments to the good looking co-op student.  There are many pictures and I will never live it down.

One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I wish we did a dinner dance again.  I'd like a chance to redeem myself.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party?
    We have a small party with food, A bingo game that incoporates our product, with some giveaways, then Dirty Santa 
    BF owns his own construction business.  No party there, or it would just be him and his partner. :-P 
    Mine is right after we finish work, so the guys are in their uniforms, I'm in my regular work attire, which is really casual. 
    None here.  Embarrassing one from too much New Year's fun at an old job. 
    Add booze.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    I've only been to 1, but it was fun. It was at a golf/country club, one of the nicest in the area. Basically it was just a big gathering around a huge stage, with rooms on either side set up with food stations and cash bars. They had a DJ, and towards the end of the night a raffle. Last year they gave away spa packages, Wiis, xBox 360s, Notebooks (We won that one!), abd like 5 big flat-screen TVs.

Nothing. He owns his own company and has a few part-time guys. They get the day off.

Ours is dressy. Not too formal, but I only saw one person last year in jeans and he definitely stood out.

None for me, but last year an old guy was totally wasted and dancing by himself in the middle of the dance floor. A woman (his wife, maybe?) tried to get him back to the table and he spun away so fast he tripped and fell on his butt.

Ours was kind of crowded, so a bigger area. But the food was great and people still had a good time.
  • edited December 2010
    What does your company do for your holiday work party? we do a small party for all the bosses the afternoon of the all employee party. yeah, not a good idea when the bosses start drinking at 2pm and have a second party at 7pm... we play tons of fun games though like musical chairs and it is hilarious

What does FI/SO/H's company do? nothing. the state of CT is dumb

Are they dressy or casual? mine is normal office dressy

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? last year was basically one long beer pong tourney. my coworker and I went 14 straight games. that was embarassing for every one else yo'!

One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I would take it off work property. It is way to messy to have on party going on while other people are still working and then they make people come back to work for a party. It is just lame.
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party? We're having cocktails (cause I can drink here ;)) for a couple of hours, and dinner afterwards. 

What does FI/SO/H's company do? Mm last year we had dinner at a restaurant, and an ornament exchange.

Are they dressy or casual? More casual for sure. My parents' companies are small and we're also doing it with my uncle's company, so it's half family and half employees and contractors. FI was working in a fairly small branch at the time.

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? Well, this is my first Christmas party, but at a staff party a couple years ago, my coworkers got me drunk, which ended up with me coming home and talking to FI for the first time, which resulted in our relationship. So not really embarrassing, but one of my favourites =)

One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I'm sure mine will be fine, FI's was super awkward though, but I think that's just because I was 18 with a bunch of 30+ year olds. So nothing, for now. Get back to me in like 20 years.
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party?  They usually have them in late January or early February.  Usually we have them at a local country club, but last year we had it at the Sons of Norway.  It's mostly just dinner and a dance, sometimes with karoake (ugh... so bad, too).  One person from each department is on the planning committee.  I was one year and it sucked.

What does FI/SO/H's company do?  They usually have a nice dinner some place and do something fun.  The first year I went, we had a nice dinner at a hotel ballroom, and then we had ballroom dancing lessons.  Last year we went to an Italian restaurant and then to a hockey game.

Are they dressy or casual?  Usually on the dressier side.  Although our company parties are themed - one year it was Western, another year it was Mardi Gras.  For the Hollywood theme I dressed as Marilyn Monroe. 

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? At the Hawaiian themed party, one of my co-worker's husbands showed up in flesh colored long johns with a SPEEDO over them.  He's in his mid 70s.  So yeah that... was weird.

One thing you would change about office holiday parties?  I don't know... I don't really enjoy my office parties.  Everyone in my office is twice my age and don't normally go to the bigger company parties, so I'm buy myself.  And all the younger people in other departments are kinda stuck up and not fun to hang out with.  Although there is one guy who is awesome... but he's usually three sheets to the wind by 10pm and if you hang out with him, it becomes your problem to figure out how he's getting home.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_work-holiday-party-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9c2806c-dfa9-4c10-8a06-2d3599ad70edPost:3b1d6c2c-28d7-4989-bcc9-4dfce9789d67">Re: s/o work holiday party poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]What does your company do for your holiday work party? We used to have a dinner dance, but then the whole recession thing happened.  Now we have a lunch on the last day of work.  One year we catered it, but last year and this year it's at the Holiday Inn. What does FI/SO/H's company do? The boss takes the guys somewhere (I have no idea where) and they drink a lot and they get candy.  They're all Polish (H is the only non-Polish guy) so there is a lot of vodka consumed.  H never drinks 'cause, well, he's got to drive home! Are they dressy or casual? Normal work attire for me (aka casual), but maybe a bit Holiday'd up.  Him, a bit nicer than normal, as in, take a change of clothes to change out of work clothes. Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? Oh dear.  <strong>The last year my company had a dinner dance I got absolutely plastered.  Like, literally falling down drunk and making inappropriate comments to the good looking co-op student.  There are many pictures and I will never live it down.</strong> One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I wish we did a dinner dance again.  I'd like a chance to redeem myself.
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

hahahaha

::chants:: post pics, post pics!
    We usually have a holiday party at some kind of recption venue in the area.

They rent out a country cloub and have a reception style party there.

Both dressy, except FI's is free and mine costs between $50-60 pp.

I don't have a great holiday party story, but we usually have an end of the year party that's the same style.  One year it was on a harbor cruise line that would circle around NYC.  The food was late, so the boat couldn't get started until abotu an hour into the party.  They changed the cash bar to an open bar to compensate and my then principal got totally sloshed and was shout/talking obscenities.  We were all pretty wasted because we didn't realize how much we were drinking (and we were starving).

They're usually boring.  I see these people enough at work, why do I need to hang out with them on my free time.  UNLESS, there's an open bar.  Then I'm there.

• What does your company do for your holiday work party?  We rent out a local sports stadium, hire celebrity entertainment and give away ridiculous amounts of money in charitable donations and cash prizes.  It's decadent and overdone, but a hell of a lot of fun. 

What does FI/SO/H's company do?  FI works at a bank.  Several local branches get together and have a catered dinner at a restaurant or hotel somewhere.  I'm a little fuzzy on the details since I've never gotten to go. 

Are they dressy or casual?  Ours is formal; his is semi-formal.

Embarrassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?  I've only been with my company 13 months, and last year I knew exactly no one... ask me again in a week and a day and I may have tales to tell!

One thing you would change about office holiday parties?  Warmer, please!  Even in Phoenix, a night-time party out of doors gets cold!  I'm shivering just thinking about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_work-holiday-party-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9c2806c-dfa9-4c10-8a06-2d3599ad70edPost:c02e03a3-3528-4efa-b5b9-58a19635136b">s/o work holiday party poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]What does your company do for your holiday work party?  We have a two hour window in the afternoon to have a potluck party.  It's not as bad as it sounds - it can be pretty fun. 

What does FI/SO/H's company do? We work for the same place. 

Are they dressy or casual?  It's during the work day, so . . . work clothes?

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?  None come to mind.  Apparently before I started they used to have it at a bar and there were some embarassing/drunken moments.  But that was before my time.  Now the most embarassing thing is if no one eats what I brought in. 

One thing you would change about office holiday parties?  I'd love to go to a holiday party where we actually got treated to a nice dinner and drinks. 
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_work-holiday-party-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9c2806c-dfa9-4c10-8a06-2d3599ad70edPost:07cdc2b9-d9a4-40d4-9207-f2fbb370b033">Re: s/o work holiday party poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: s/o work holiday party poll : hahahaha ::chants:: post pics, post pics!

I would, but I don't have any of them.  They're all owned by others that aren't in the building anymore.  If I had them, I'm pretty sure I'd have deleted most of them.  It was that bad.
  • I wish I could still go to the Christmas parties my co-workers from the grill/bar I used to work at have.  We had fun awards, good food, and we drank until we nearly died.  It was awesome.  We also had party buses often.  Sigh... I don't miss waitressing.  But I do miss the parties.
    panther
    We have a dinner and cocktails

Not a damn thing..

Um oddly in between.

This will actually be my first office party

Never been to one so I can't say

• Mrs. Jesse, I was a substitute teacher for a little over a year.

You have my respect, Chica.  It was hell.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party?  They are having a heavy hors d'ouevres mingling thing tonight with some awards being presented. I've never gone because J's always working. My department does a luncheon - this year it's catered in, and we're paying for ourselves. NBD. We don't have to eat the cafe food that way.

What does FI/SO/H's company do? Bahaha.  Let them have Christmas Day off?? Maybe leave at 5PM Christmas Eve?  They used to do doughnuts and pizza during those last couple of days before Christmas, but they didn't last year. I sent a big plate of 3 types of cookies for the station for Christmas Eve.

Are they dressy or casual? Mine - goes from business dress to dressy. J's - casual (and some greasy and dirty), because they're all working.

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?  Oh, one place I worked at before had two secretaries (I was not a secretary there) get drunk and get into a fight at the restaurant. I was surprised we were allowed to have booze after that.

One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I'd like to have one on a weekend so I could go with J. Of course, that means my office wouldn't be closing early (like, in 25 minutes).
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
    We have a dinner/dance at the hotel next door, and the company blocks off hotel rooms for us and covers most of the cost (we only pay $20!)

None of the places he has worked as of yet have had a holiday party. His current company has these company retreat things every year instead.

There really isn't a rule...some people wear jeans, some people wear floor length gowns (the ladies, not the men...although, that would be more fun!)

Embarrassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?
    Hmm...nothing comes to mind. Although after a few drinks it is all a blur anyways!

Everything? I feel so awkward around my boss and the coworkers I don't get along with when we're supposed to be having a good time. It feels like a day at work, only we're free to drink and say things we shouldn't...
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    We have a big semi-formal dinner with a buffet and open bar (beer/wine) and a dj. Occasionally a Santa shows up to take picture with. One hear we had a special needs group come and perform some Xmas songs

We work for the same company

dressy, semi-formal, girls are usually in cocktail dresses, guys in suits or dress pants & button downs.

Embarrassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?
    No at the party, but one year a few of us went to a bar afterwards, right when BF & I were just starting to date, and I was pretty tanked and fell over in the parking lot. Only embarrasing 'cause I was still trying to impress him and totally looked like an idiot

This year it's not open bar (boo!!!)
  • Old job story:

Rumor had it my old boss would get touchy feely when he was drunk, okay, not so much touchy feely, as kissy kissy. He would kiss anyone who got near him, regardless of age or gender. My brother worked for him and had it happen to him so he warned me and I always avoided going out with him (he was constantly inviting me to go drink with him).

Well, I worked for him a year, we finally had our Christmas party at a bowling alley. I had to be there. I avoided him the whole time, but leaving he caught me and went in for the lean. AHH! I had to just bear through it, and H was with me and got a big sloppy one right after me. Not in a sexual way, but a grandpa loves you way too much kind of way. He was actually a really good boss which is why I let it slide and vowed to never be around him drunk again.
    Photobucket
  • Mrs. Jesse, that's an awesome story!!
    We apparently are having a dinner at a nearby restaurant, that is out of a lot of people's price range that they are able to pay. And most people weren't invited. I'm a little bitter.

Nothing.

Casual.

None.

Check with your staff before making a reservation, to see if everyone can afford your restaurant choice.
  • I am surprised how many people don't like their office parties. I think it is so fun to cut loose with people you work with. However, I guess we do this pretty often through out the year at work, so it is pretty natural and not one forced end of the year thing.
  • edited December 2010
    What does your company do for your holiday work party?  This is my first year here, but in the past the company took everyone (SOs included) out to dinner.  Because of vacations and stuff this year, our boss is having lunch catered on the 17th.  He is planning a dinner "out" sometime in January.

What does FI/SO/H's company do?  It's also his first year so not sure.  They did a potluck for Thanksgiving - I'm guessing it will be the same for Christmas.

Are they dressy or casual?  The at work stuff is casual.  When/if we go out to dinner I imagine it will be dressier.

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore?  Years ago I worked at a company who had a happy hour party at a local hotel ballroom.  We got off work a little early to get over there and it only lasted until about 7.  Anyway, we had a new girl in our office and she seemed a little "wild", but we didn't really know until the Christmas party.  She got D R U N K and was telling anyone within earshot how she liked a guy with a big c0ck.  She was standing next to some of the company VPs, etc. at the time.

The next day she didn't call or come in to work.  We started to get truly worried.  She called later that day and said she'd locked her keys in the house or the car.  She was gone not long after that.

One thing you would change about office holiday parties?  Not much-the casual ones seem to go better.

ETA: Answer to last question
    Anniversary
  • The people I work with are sooooooo boring.  And most of them are weird.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_work-holiday-party-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9c2806c-dfa9-4c10-8a06-2d3599ad70edPost:d2a46083-ce9d-4d2a-8cdc-540b0e050272">Re: s/o work holiday party poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am surprised how many people don't like their office parties. I think it is so fun to cut loose with people you work with. However, I guess we do this pretty often through out the year at work, so it is pretty natural and not one forced end of the year thing.

Same with my job. We all work the same odd hours, a lot of us are in the same age range (mid 20s -mid 30s). Many of us hang out outside of work. At least 40% of the workers have a spouse/partner/sibling/roommate that works there too. (Yes, we do encourage inbreeding at my company) Plus we have several parties throughout the year hosted by the company (usually Xmas, Summer, & Halloween)
  • What does your company do for your holiday work party? We are having a big christmas party that is work/client based at a convention hall with a huge fancy sit down dinner. We are also having a work potluck the week before to just hang out together.

What does FI/SO/H's company do? nothing

Are they dressy or casual? the convention hall party is more dressy, but the work one is just business casual.

Embarassing moments/memories from office parties of yore? not many places ive worked have had parties to be honest.

One thing you would change about office holiday parties? I cant really say
  • I got wasted (I sense a theme) with a bunch of my coworkers this year on St. Patricks.  I had to call in drunk the next day.

The co-workers that I'm friends with are awesome.  We all live in the same area (which is weird because it's not near work) and do friend type stuff a lot.  Yeah, they're all mid 30's to mid 40's guys, but hey, their friends!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_work-holiday-party-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9c2806c-dfa9-4c10-8a06-2d3599ad70edPost:a6445d09-e4f0-4a35-9b86-2fecd81a0f32">Re: s/o work holiday party poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got wasted (I sense a theme) with a bunch of my coworkers this year on St. Patricks.  I had to call in drunk the next day. The co-workers that I'm friends with are awesome.  We all live in the same area (which is weird because it's not near work) and do friend type stuff a lot.  Yeah, they're all mid 30's to mid 40's guys, but hey, their friends!
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I usually get pretty drunk when going out with the guys here and I am sadly (and consistently) the least hungover person at my work the next day. I am pretty nervous because every one wants to take me out big on the night before my last day of work. You can't call out drunk on your last day of work, can you? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards