Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Has anyone ever thought of trying this or even done it?

My FI and i are having a morning ceremony and a breakfast reception.that being said, we thought it would be cool to have cinnamon rolls baked in cake pans and stacked like a wedding cake instead of an actual cake. Would this work?any ideas on how to decorate it further? i was thinkiing about fresh flowers and my cake topper. Just wanted to know if its been done before, i cant seem to find any pics online of anything like that, i cant be the first person to ever consider doing something like that. Thanks!

Re: Has anyone ever thought of trying this or even done it?

• edited December 2011
    I love the idea of cinnamon rolls! I'd take them out of the pans though, and drizzle the icing on as you're stacking them.
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE CINNAMON ROLLS!!! really cool idea, ive never seen it done but then again i havent been to many weddings.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would take them out of the pan and stack them like people do cupcakes or donuts. You could get a tiered cake stand and just arrange them around the trays.

This is a fantastic idea, by the way, and it sounds yummy!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness----- that sounds absolutely amazing! Who knows if it's been done before, maybe your the first! AMAZING idea :-)
  • edited December 2011
    That is a great idea! I think I would take then out of the pans though and put them on a tiered cupcake stand.

Great idea!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

As a die-hard cinnamon roll lover - I am going to get creative with my suggestion here.  I think something custom is needed.  Here's my thought, not perfected but in the beginning stages (lol):

Get round cake pans (aluminum or tin) and cut holes in the bottom of the middle to slide them onto a rail.  Thus creating the image of cake layers stacked together.  Decorate the outside of the pans with ribbon or even icing, etc.  I think if you take them out of the pan beforehand they might get dry or hard quickly. 

I love the idea!!  So cool!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of stacking them on a tiered stand like you would with cupcakes.  You could even offer different kinds of cinnamon rolls - rolls with regular icing, rolls with creame cheese icing, rolls with orange icing, etc. yum yum.
  • edited December 2011
    I also agree with Kate, but I'd take them out of the round pans but leave them stuck together and then put some wide ribbon or decorative paper around the outside of them to keep them together.  As long as you've got cardboard underneath each tier, this should work.  

Great idea, BTW!  
  • edited December 2011
    Yum! Can I come to your wedding? haha I think it is a fabulous idea.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies! im so glad i got such possitive feedback about this idea, its something i have been thinking about for some time and im excited about it. =)if you guys have anymore suggestions on how to best make this work or any decor tips let me know! our colors are red black and white and we have a Willow Tree Angel " Together" cake topper that i plan to place on top. I have some time before the wedding but i figure this is a DIY project that i want to practice on to make it perfect!
  • Megan91088Megan91088 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is so funny...My roommate was just talking about how her cousin had a cinnamon roll cake at her wedding! I was able to snag some pics of what they had...

• edited December 2011
    Everybody loves breakfast! Fun idea. I agree with PP that you could display the same way people do cupcakes and donuts, on like a tiered stand. 

Great Idea! 
    Trust your heart, love knows the way. Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrstfuturemrstfuture member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ummm, no not everyone loves breakfast.  I'm allergic to eggs so breakfast is my least favorite since every where you go there are eggs galore.

I think the tiered cinnamon rolls is a great idea, but I think leaving them panned and decorating them inside the pans is a great idea. 
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Trish -

For your own internet security, please start a new account that does not have your name as your screen name.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_anyone-ever-thought-of-trying-this-even-done?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:79e2ab08-e3f0-4ea1-80ed-bdd7784b9d53Post:ece667ca-41e5-4134-bb49-c8e37b7f4a01">Re: Has anyone ever thought of trying this or even done it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I would take them out of the pan and stack them like people do cupcakes or donuts</strong>. You could get a tiered cake stand and just arrange them around the trays. This is a fantastic idea, by the way, and it sounds yummy!
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

ditto - thats exactly what i thought when i read the OP
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    i LOVE this idea.  Way to make your wedding unique and memorable!

My sister & her husband met at a pizza place.  They had dessert pizza in leu of wedding cake, and everyone loved how different it was!

I don't have suggestions on how to do it, but I'm sure it will be wonderful!
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My immediate thoughts went to the Wilton Tall Tier Stand- it is a tiered cake stand that features a center post construction, which would be perfect for your needs!  Another option would be Wilton's Floating Tiers cake stand- all you do is place the rolls (on a plate or cake circle) on the stand: no pillars, no pain.  :)  And I would definitely take the rolls OUT of the pans and simply drizzle plenty of icing over them.  Decorating could be fresh flowers and fruit.

check out your local rental company for cake stand rentals - or even a local bakery.

This is an absolutely wonderful idea!!
  • edited December 2011

It could work and look really neat. People do donnut cakes so I don't see my a cinnomen roll cake wouldn't work.

• edited December 2011
    That is a really cute idea.  I would be afraid of stacking them like a tiered cake and running the risk of making them soggy, so I would probably put them on cake pedestals.  You can either get pedestals that graduate in size so you can make tiers, or get a bunch of different pedestals and scatter them around the table at different heights.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BudnotesBudnotes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a great idea!!!  Sounds very appropriate for a Brunch wedding. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers image Daisypath Christmas tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are also having a morning ceremony, we are having mini cupcakes instead of cake, but I do love the cinnamon rolls idea, very cute
  • lindseroolindseroo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_anyone-ever-thought-of-trying-this-even-done?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:79e2ab08-e3f0-4ea1-80ed-bdd7784b9d53Post:153b88c2-181b-4450-a889-8e72999b508b">Re: Has anyone ever thought of trying this or even done it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ummm, no not everyone loves breakfast. 
    Posted by mrstfuture[/QUOTE]

I agree!  I hate breakfast!  I don't like eggs, pancakes, waffles, maple syrup, french toast, sausage, or bacon.  I do, however, like cinnamon rolls.  The only other typical breakfast food I like is hashbrowns...yummmmm.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards