Illinois-Chicago

Bridal Shower- I need your opinion!

Hello!

I am getting married in Chicago, but I am from Florida and my family still lives there so I am having a bridal shower in my hometown with my mother, sisters and friends. I'm thinking about also having one up here in Chicago so that my FMIL and our friends can attend. The shower in Florida will be a more traditional women-only shower, but I'm thinking if we have up here we would invite couples and make it a more casual get-together (think summer bbq) rather than cutesy shower. 

Do you think it's worth the extra effort to also have a shower up here (we would most likely host)? Or is having two showers just seem stupid?
image BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bridal Shower- I need your opinion!

• MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having 2 showers, one my FMIL friends threw for us and it was all my FMIL friends along with my mom and MOH. my bmaids are also throwing me one for my friends and it's a combo shower/bachelorette party weekend.
    I like the idea of a couples shower, we were going to do that but it just didn't work out.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having multiple showers so I don't think that is stupid.  I also think the idea of a couples shower/bbq sounds like fun and think that your guests would enjoy it more.  I don't think it's proper for you to throw yourself a shower though.  IMO that is pretty tacky.  Do you have any friends up here that could host it?
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_bridal-shower-need-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:72Discussion:b1467777-af63-4777-84b4-e63993d23506Post:fd5aa5c4-8ad4-4ce6-8c1f-6cfbadf222a2">Re: Bridal Shower- I need your opinion!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I I don't think it's proper for you to throw yourself a shower though.  IMO that is pretty tacky. Posted by AshleyK2011[/QUOTE]

This.  It's against etiquette to throw your own shower.  Even if your FMIL threw it, that'd be acceptable.

As far as two showers, heck yes I'd do it.  I had a Chicago shower and a hometown shower also.  It was a great way to celebrate with people in both areas.
  • garicasgirlgaricasgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input!

Actually I think our best friend couple (he's the best man, she's a bridesmaid) will host the Chicago shower (they have an awesome backyard/patio and a pool)
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes I think multiple showers are fine, especially if there are people you want to celebrate with in the area. FIs aunt is hosting a shower for us in Minneapolis.  Just don't host it yourself.
    Anniversary image
  • WinterWed17WinterWed17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing you need to think about is getting the gifts home. If you are driving and have a big vehicle, no problem. But if you are flying, you'll either have to ship everything or have a family member or friend drive the gifts down.

This is an issue I'm running into with my shower back home.
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, make sure you do not invite anyone to both showers.

Two is no biggie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards