February 2013 Weddings
Options

Should I reschedule the date?

A little about us 1st: My wedding is scheduled for Feb 23, 2013. This will be my 2nd marriage and his first. I have 3 children, he has 2! I married right out of high school and was divorced a few years later. I started planning in August for a simple yet elegant service. By October, I had alot of things in progress or completed. Well, on Nov 30 my finance was injured at work. He broke both heel bones. He just went through a 7 hr operation last week. Its been very difficult on all of us, because he cannot put ANY weight on his feet for at least 3 months followed by 4-6 wks intense physical therapy. I pretty much stopped planning at that point. Im not fond of him having to be stuck in a wheel chair on our wedding day. He says that it does not matter to him and he dont mind it. Everyone keeps pushing me to keep the date. That is will be a great memory to share someday. Maybe their right, maybe im being selfish. I just cant imagine someone being able to enjoy whats supposed to be the best day of their life in a wheel chair! I am thinking maybe I should do a summer or fall wedding. What are your opinions? Am I being selfish?
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply! been on the knot for a long time now, but im a 1st time blogger! however I have gotten sooo many great ideas from you lady's! thank you :)

Re: Should I reschedule the date?

• Options
    Julyet06Julyet06 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2013
    hmmm...that is a toughie!  I can see why your FI wouldn't want to postpone it, he probably wants to keep you happy!  Firstly, it's fine that everyone has an opinion, but the decision is really up to the two of you.  He just had surgery last week and he is being such a trooper!  How much of your wedding has been paid/finalized/ordered??  Will you be out of money, if so, is it an amount you'd be willing to lose w/o being hurt financially?  There are lots of things to consider...are people flying in and have their trips booked?

If it's about being married right away, how about you postpone the wedding (as in ceremony and reception) but the two of you still get married at the court house and have an intimate dinner celebration.  Then later down the line you can have a symbolic ceremony + reception later with friends and family (the ettiquette board may bite my head off at that suggestion lol).

Just talk to your fi and find out what's really important regarding the wedding.  It might be a good idea to postpone b/c even if he is in a wheel chair, he may be in pain, or sleepy from meds and may not get to enjoy the full experience of celebrating his nuptuals.

I hope he has a speedy recovery!! So sorry he was injured!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with Julyet! :)
  • Options
    Crysta1Crysta1 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Honestly I haven't got much money vested into it at all. most of our family and friends are local so there really wouldn't be anyone flying in. I spoke with the lady about the bldg rental and she is willing to work with me on dates without charging me any fee's. Which is great! I loved the whole winter wedding theme, but I can change it without any hesitation.. to me the concept is more important than the theme. Truly I want to postpone it. Id rather him be as much of himself as possible and your right pain isnt a great way to celebrate your wedding. I just dont want to seem selfish to everyone, including him.I greatly appreciate your advice and opinion! thank you!
  • Options
    on the contrary, i think you are being very selfLESS in the sense that you are putting your future husbands needs/comfort ahead of what you (and everyone else) wants!  Personally, I say shame of them for trying to make you feel bad about postponing the wedding!  Sorry they are making you feel selfish, but to me, you are completely not :-)

If the wedding vendors are willing to work with you, I say go for it!  Allow your FH to heal so you both can enjoy your day to the fullest!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Julyet06's words are what i want to say.  the desion depends on both of you. Anyway i do hope you would have a memorable wedding. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards