Chinese Weddings

NWR: Traveling to China - need help!

Hey guys.  I'm trying to plan a family trip to China.  We'd like to see Beijing, Shanghai and HK, at the very least.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to book an itinerary.  A few ppl have suggested that we travel w/a tour group.  Has anyone ever done that?  Is it an ideal way to explore the country for first-timers?  We have about 2 weeks, so we'd like to cram as much as we can into our trip.  Here's the company that was suggested to me:  ritztours.net. 

TIA!

Re: NWR: Traveling to China - need help!

• LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been told many times that it's best to travel in a tour group for Beijing, mainly so people don't try to rip you off and to get better service all around. I also don't speak Mandarin well so a tour group would be helpful for me.

I've only been to Hong Kong and it's easy to get around there speaking English. I didn't go with a tour since I speak Cantonese and had relatives there. Most of the time there, FI and I just went around and explored places ourselves, and we had no trouble.

It probably is best for you to book with a tour group so you can see the important landmarks within your time frame. We spent a week and half in HK so we weren't pressed for time.
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

FWIW, Disney seems to offer an awesome package for travel around China. I've never personally been over without family translation, so I think if FI and I were to go we'd definitely go the Disney route.

I'm so jealous that you and DH are making a trip! I can't wait to bring FI to China/SE Asia! Have fun!!

Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • lanloilanloi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had a family friend in HK help us book a tour group package to malaysia and beijing.  we had 2 weeks, we got to HK and met up with tour groups for the other countries and spent time on our own in HK before, in-between and afterwards.  we save A LOT of money that way....NYC also has a lot of travel agencies that book the same way.  we saved a lot of time figuring out hot spots and not getting lost!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help ladies.  Right now, we are thinking of traveling with Peony Tours/Ritz Tours. 
  • heleng5heleng5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

maybe you can buy a lot of stuff that you will need for your chinese ceremony in HK/China, I'm going to HK in Nov this year and planning to do so! have fun

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards