Moms and Maids
Options

Im an overseas Maid of Honour! How can I help?

Hi all!
I am the maid of honour for my little sisters wedding September next year. problem is I live in Ireland and she is back home in Australia! I want to be able to help out and support her through this process (she was mine last year and did an amazing job!) but its tricky across time zones! Can anyone give me ideas/tips on how to be the best MOH from afar??!! Thanks!

Re: Im an overseas Maid of Honour! How can I help?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would seriously just be someone who is there for her.  Don't worry about the planning because it's really not that bad or stressful.  What seems to be more stressful is when family issues go awry, or when too many people RSVP or when FI doesn't care.  Just talk to her and be there for her when she needs someone to vent to.  I think that's been all I would've wanted from my bridal party is to be there when I'm unsure about something or need a second opinion on how to handle a situation.  Good luck!
  • Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto to marissa and to add, I say email or FB are the best ways to communicate when it comes to long distance, so if she has ideas she can send them and vice versa without having to actually schedule a time to chat. When my cousin was overseas I left it up to her to get a hold of me, we usually talked on the weekends because we both knew that we were usually free.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH actually lives locally to me, but we did most of our wedding talk via FB chat.  It's just easier that way.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MoH is also in another country and she has been the most helpful by listening to just...the day to day stuff.  I don't "dump" on her, by any means, but she is open to just listening to those little frustrations that I don't want to go into with my local wedding party members (sometimes involving slight annoyances that I know my WP here would try to "fix," but don't really need to BE "fixed," I just want to discuss it and forget about it).

She also helped out with things that couldn't be shipped to me, was incredibly helpful and vocal, about giving opinions on things when I asked for them, and was, on the whole, just a really good friend through it all.  We've logged a lot of messenger and FB time over the past year. 

We also made sure we had plenty of NON wedding time/talks and made arrangements to see one another every time I was in the States (even when in different states at the time).

I think it's great that you want to help so much!  Good luck to you both!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    tlbattagliatlbattaglia member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH lives across country from me.  She has been helping me a lot via email.  If I find something I like I'll send it to her.  And then she'll email me back and give me her opinion and what not. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards