June 2013 Weddings

So...What Should I Be Doing This Far Out?

Hey guys! This is my first post on this board. 

We've been engaged for about 6 months, so the things we've got done are:

- Ceremony Venue 
- Reception Venue
- DJ
- Photographer
- Transportation
- Decorator

What should I do at this point? I feel like it's too early to ask bridesmaids, look for dresses, or do cake/flowers...We DO need to find an officiant. We're working on that. 

Supposedly we're having our E pics taken this fall (football season), so I'll do the Save The Date then (probably October/November).

Re: So...What Should I Be Doing This Far Out?

• Welcome to the June 2013 board! I'd say you're in pretty good shape! Do you have your caterer booked already too? I think most of the brides here will tell you that it's never too early to book anything, really. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi and welcome! It definitely isn't too early to do anything. I know some other boards will tell you to hold off on asking your BP, but if you are 100% on who you want-ask them! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I asked our wedding parties early. We've had the same mutual friends since before we ever started dating. If you're sure about it, go for it. The earlier you book things, the better the prices you'll get. Most vendors up their prices in the spring/summer, so doing it early means locking into last years prices. We saved a $1000 mark up on our venue/catering by booking just a month before their price increase. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think you are in very good shape. If you know who your bridesmaids are, go ahead and ask them. Get a good idea of what you want them to wear and start looking around. As for you...its not too early to start looking for your dress. If you find something you love then great. If you don't find "the one" right now, you still have plenty of time to find it. Happy planning!
  • I think you are doing great, you have the most important things booked. I am assuming that catering is included by your reception venue.  I am someone that held off on asking my bridal party. I knew who I wanted to ask for the most part, FI was the one who has a boatload of friends and had a really hard time deciding. I held off on asking my BP, but have since started asking people as I see them. I have asked 2/6, FI has asked 0/6 lol. I would at least give your girls a year notice. A lot of girls on this board already have their dresses, I am personally holding out until around August. happy planning and welcome to the board!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That's great progress, you have a lot done already! I would start looking for officiants (esp if it could be complicated like an interfaith ceremony like moi), sooner than later but for now enjoy how much you've got done. Welcome to the board!
    Photobucket
  • Thanks guys! For some reason I can't quote any posts (The Knot glitch?), but yes, catering is included in the venue, so that's done, and the officiant will probably just be a judge or something similar. 

My reason for holding off on asking the bridal party was sort of...that I know it's a long way from now...and I don't want them to think I'm being OMG WEDDING! by asking them so far out. Once you ask, the "what dress, what shoes, etc." conversation starts, and I have plenty of time, so I just wanted to enjoy friendships with limited wedding talk until that point. Not that after I ask them we will only talk about wedding crap, but you know what I mean.
  • Completely agree. I didnt want my wedding to dominate all the conversations I have with my friends. I told the 2 people I asked already that they can plan on going bridesmaids dress shopping sometime in the fall. I didnt want to ask super early, but at the same time I know money might be hard for one of my friends, and I wanted to give her plenty of time to save, or the option to say no if she wanted to.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_sowhat-should-i-be-doing-this-far-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:8e258e97-d7b6-485e-a861-9504ad3e9e82Post:52b96d36-85fe-47e1-bb9f-1ef88b7ab21d">Re: So...What Should I Be Doing This Far Out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks guys! <strong>For some reason I can't quote any posts (The Knot glitch?)</strong>, but yes, catering is included in the venue, so that's done, and the officiant will probably just be a judge or something similar.  My reason for holding off on asking the bridal party was sort of...that I know it's a long way from now...and I don't want them to think I'm being OMG WEDDING! by asking them so far out. Once you ask, the "what dress, what shoes, etc." conversation starts, and I have plenty of time, so I just wanted to enjoy friendships with limited wedding talk until that point. Not that after I ask them we will only talk about wedding crap, but you know what I mean.
    Posted by Domino04[/QUOTE]

<div>FYI I thought so too bc the 'Quote' button is gone, if you click instead 'Reply to this post' you can use the quote in your response. But I still blame TK Glitches :)</div>
    Photobucket
  • And now the "quote" button is back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards