Kentucky
Options

Is 6 Months long enough to Plan the Wedding???

Just got engaged last weekend. <3 And we would like to go ahead and get married this year! (we have been together over 3 years) I want to shoot for July or August... trying to find the perfect date, but is that long enough? Also, we are on a budget!!! Still don't know exactly what it is yet. Ceremony and reception will be in Lexington.
Please help.

Re: Is 6 Months long enough to Plan the Wedding???

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it's enough time.  First - you need a solid guest list so that you know how many people you need to accomodate.  Second - you need a realistic budget.  Once you have those, things can come together quickly.  I would also get your dress ordered asap - some of them take almost that long to come in. 

Once you've got numbers and budget, let us know what sort of feel you want for the wedding and we can suggest venues to check out.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're flexible on the day of the week (i.e. willing to do a Friday or a Sunday), you'll find more available vendors. 

We planned our wedding in six months with no issue--but we got married on a Sunday. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I started planning my wedding 18 months in advance and had photographers tell me they were already booked... it completely depends on your vendors. If they're available, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I guess I better get started on the guest list then. We want an outdoor wedding in a park in our town. We know where..... I just have to figure out how to talk to someone there and get it all set up. The date still up in the air. I orginally want 08.09.10, but it happens to be a monday. I still would like to go with it since it was our first pick.... I wanted it to be a sunset wedding anyhow. Also,  I have no idea how to talk to my Dad about the wedding budget.... I was thinking around $2500 for it all, but I have no idea if what I have in my mind for the wedding is realistic for that budget. And is it traditional or untraditional to pay for your own honeymoon?  dont think we will ever go on one if we have to pay. I just dont think I know anything about weddings!
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_6-months-long-enough-plan-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:86Discussion:0ee3e49f-a4f3-49d9-8d33-481030774f9aPost:02116bf3-699a-4b12-8c9c-6b89b25da076">Re: Is 6 Months long enough to Plan the Wedding???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I guess I better get started on the guest list then. We want an outdoor wedding in a park in our town. We know where..... I just have to figure out how to talk to someone there and get it all set up. The date still up in the air. I orginally want 08.09.10, but it happens to be a monday. I still would like to go with it since it was our first pick.... I wanted it to be a sunset wedding anyhow. Also,  I have no idea how to talk to my Dad about the wedding budget.... I was thinking around $2500 for it all, but I have no idea if what I have in my mind for the wedding is realistic for that budget. And is it traditional or untraditional to pay for your own honeymoon?  dont think we will ever go on one if we have to pay. I just dont think I know anything about weddings!
    Posted by Future Mrs. Pearce[/QUOTE]

A couple of things - it's really not polite to ask your parents for money.  Have they mentioned helping you pay for the wedding?  If not, you should probably assume you and your FI are going to need to pay for things and plan based on that. 

$2500 is really small.  But, anything is possible - it just depends on what you want to accomplish for that price tag.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I think 6 months is plenty of time if your not too picky.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My Dad said he'd pay for it... I just dont know how to ask what the limit is. And I've heard of smaller... I just want to marry him. Dont really care what people think about the wedding.

• Options
    jfdstcjfdstc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I planned mine in about 6 months and am doing it on a 5,000 budget. The biggest expense for me was a photographer, which was also high in importance to me and the hardest to book with only a 6 month notice. We are also paying for the honeymoon ourselves. There is a Budet Board where I have found a lot of great money saving ideas, you should check it out.

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
     In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky_6-months-long-enough-plan-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:86Discussion:0ee3e49f-a4f3-49d9-8d33-481030774f9aPost:bcdc2303-d9ad-4ec3-be31-b3896ad62f2c">Re: Is 6 Months long enough to Plan the Wedding???</a>:
    [QUOTE]My Dad said he'd pay for it... I just dont know how to ask what the limit is. And I've heard of smaller... I just want to marry him. Dont really care what people think about the wedding.
    Posted by Future Mrs. Pearce[/QUOTE]

In that case, I'd just sit down with your dad and say something like this:

Dad, FI and I would like to get married this summer, which means we need to plan quickly.  I know you wanted to help with the costs, so can we talk about what you're comfortable with?  We can plan a wedding in 6 months, but we really need to book the big things, like the venue, caterer, and photographer right away. 

That should give you a good start to the conversation.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, it's totally plenty of time to plan a wedding.  I would also suggest that you figure out what's important to you and then rank things.  If cake isn't important to you, then you're not going to spend a lot of money on it.  Separate your budget accordingly and then go from there.  It's really helped me in planning. 
  • Options
    RandiLakinRandiLakin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like the idea of it being outdoors and it being a date thats easy to remember (i like the 8.9.10. My parents were married on 5.6.78)  I would suggest 10.10.10.  its a sunday and its october, the scenery will be gorgeous!  Im actually getting married on 8.23.10. Plus it wont be too hot for your guests.  However, a wedding in Aug. or July may be up in the 90's, you could make fans out of your programs or fans for your wedding favors.  Just an idea. I just got engaged on April Fools Day...funny i know. And im on a short planning period as well, so i feel the stress sister!!!  Goodluck and Congrats!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    edited December 2011
    Most dates like 8.9.10 and 10.10.10 book up pretty fast, actually. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    RandiLakinRandiLakin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well actually i was going to do 10.10.10 and i just started planning a few weeks ago, and none of the venues i was looking at had that date booked yet.  but, i went with 10.23.10 because its a saturday.  the 10th of Oct. is a Sunday. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards