Hawaii

Vendor Vent

Ok, I'm trying to calm down, b/c in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a big deal, but I'm still really annoyed.  I thought I was past all this price haggling crud.

I just emailed all of my vendors to check in, make sure we were on their books, etc., since we are now 6 months away.

WELL, everything is great, until I get an email from my cake/dessert bar vendor, who says she made a mistake in her email 10 months ago, when I was booking all of my vendors, and gave me the wrong price on the per person rate, and that in fact it's $2 more per person.

Yes, I realize, not a big deal, but it's more the principle of it.  I guarantee you it was not a mistake and that instead she is raising her prices.  But she doesn't do contracts, so I can't hold her to it.

At this point I am back to square one and am going to reconsider other wedding cake vendors.

Seriously?  Seriously.  Is it just me, or is it bad business to go changing your quotes when after that quote I told her she was hired.  Now I'm more in the mood to do some firing.  What really kills me is that I previously recommended her to others. 

Thank you for "listening," sorry for whining.
image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Anniversary

Re: Vendor Vent

• mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who is the vendor?? I want to make sure it's not mine too! That is NOT cool! Fire her, there are other options! That is a hefty price difference and maybe she'll back down if you are walking away with your business.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um...I replied to this and now it disappeared. Maybe it's my computer? Sorry if it shows up twice. I was saying, who is it?? Because that is not cool. And I think you should tell her you are going to go with someone else...maybe she'll see that she's losing your business and do the right thing. Good luck!! You're so on top of things...emailed your vendors! Are you sure you don't want to change professions to WC? :)
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, yes, if I wasn't sure before about being a WC, I am now after all of this grief!   Actually, I worked in event planning just out of college, so I guess I still have a little of it in me.  ;)

Yes, sadly, it's who you think it is.  :(

She originally quoted me $5 pp for the dessert bar, and now is raising it.  I was fine with $5, but I don't like be jerked around on pricing.

<sigh />
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Argh! I'm sorry to hear about this, it is so annoying. But if you have in an email a price she quoted you 10 months ago and you hired her based on that, she can't say "whoops i made a mistake" 10 months later. She has to honor that price. It's not like she emailed you 2 weeks later and said she made a mistake. Its almost a year later!!!  Also, you essentially have a contract with her. She gave you an offer and you accepted it. Maybe you should get your WC involved to see if she will honor the original price. Also maybe if you threaten to take your business elsewhere she will honor the original price. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Abena is right on...if the email states the price then that is the price...talk to Lori i'm sure she can help you out...plus there are a lot of knotties who plan to use her in the near future...so that is a lot of potential lost business. J, Smile

• ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow Liz... I was wondering about that exact same thing when I read your email with her quote compared to what Lori thought she was charging. I am not impressed AT ALL. I had to re-request the dessert buffet quote from her today because she is clearly not reading through my emails. If I were you, I'd give her an ultimatum; that she stick with her original quote or you go elsewhere. A deal is a deal. There are plenty of other bakers out there who would love your business. I noticed after my original complaint that she has started CC-ing Lori on her reply emails today. Let me know how this turns out as I have a bad taste in my mouth already. I am hoping she really is as great as everyone says she is and is just really swamped which can be easier to make mistakes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • destiny1108destiny1108 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sorry to hear that!    If the vendor made a mistake, then they should honor what they quoted you, or at minimum meet you half way.      Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    You guys are THE BEST!  Thank you so much for all of your support, I don't know what I would do with y'all!

I have really good news...I will post an update in a seperate thread.

Thanks again ladies!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry to pipe in late on this, but felt I had to jump in.

Just got married at the beginning of December in Maui.  Loved it!!!  Everything was perfect, except...

We really wanted a limo.  I called everywhere trying to choose someone.  I was leaning toward one company that came highly recommended  They weren't great by email, but I trusted the people who suggested them.

A week before the wedding, they altered their price.  I was unhappy, but kind of under the gun.  I also thought it was minor enough not to hold it against them.  So I said okay, and locked in the deal.

That was a mistake.  I wish I'd gone with my gut instinct.  The experience was nearly disastrous.

If you've got a bad feeling about a vendor, I really hope you don't make the same mistake I did.  Please trust your instincts - it doesn't matter what other people say, or how many people recommend them.  If you're having trouble with them already, it may only get worse.

I wish I'd saved myself the aggravation!

Best of luck with your wedding planning, I bet it's going to be spectacular!  Congratulations, hope you have a blast :- />
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards