Pennsylvania-Central

Sort of New Here...

I've been on The Knot for a few months now, lurking in the shadows just reading the boards and trying to learn the lingo.  Well, Friday night, my future husband finally proposed!!!  So I wanted to introduce myself and say hi to every one in the Central PA area!!  I'm so excited to start planning our special day!  Any advice anyone can offer will be appreciated!  (good, bad, and ugly)

Also, we will be trying to set up some reception venue viewings in a few weeks and I was wondering of there were some places you could mention that are worth checking out?  We are already set up to view The Gettysburg Hotel (which I think I will absoultely love) but I want to view other places before deciding on "the one."  

Thank you for your help and ideas!  I love how everyone chats back and forth on this board.  I'm so excited to finally be a part of it!!!!Laughing 

image 165 Invited
image 105 Are attending one amazing party!
image33 Are missing out!
image 27 Haven't sent back their responses yet
RSVP Date: October 23

Re: Sort of New Here...

• edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and Congrats on the engagement!  What area did you want your wedding in?  Do you have a budget yet?  That is a big deciding factor on when your trying to figure out where to have your wedding at.  I knew where I wanted to have our wedding and it wasn't as expensive as I thought which was a bonus.   Good luck with the venue search! Oh here is a link that may help you with the Knottie lingo  http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/community-frequently-asked-questions.aspx
    Michelle and Chris 10.10.10 ~Planning Bio~Updated September 12th~ 10/10 Siggy challenge: Walking down the aisle Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Congrats and welcome to the board!  I'm getting married in Gettysburg in May.  We checked out the Gettysburg Hotel as well but we decided to go with another venue.  That venue is gorgeous though!  If you're looking in the Gettysburg area, I would also look at The Links, The Pike (our venue) and Ski Liberty.  Our biggest "sell" for The Pike was the price and the fact that there is a 6 hour reception and only $100 per additional hour (they don't double book). 

Do you have a date set yet? That's the first step.  After that, I would start looking at venues (which you already have) and even go to some bridal shows.  You'll get lots of ideas and maybe even some discounts on some vendors.  Other than that, my biggest piece of advice...enjoy it!  I love, love, love being engaged and planning everything.  It only happens once.  The girls on this board are great too!  They really helped me at the beginning and continue to do so. Happy planning and welcome!

• zinniafanzinniafan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on the proposal-- how did he pop the question?  The Gettysburg Hotel is stunning!  I have passed it in the evening when it's all lit up and it is so pretty.  Plus Gettysburg is so homey, and those fields could be a great place for the ceremony or your romantic photos.  If you are looking for a photographer in the Gettyburg area, check out www.LIsaRhinehartPhotography.com.
  • edited December 2011
    The Gettysburg Hotel is BEAUTIFUL!  My friend got married there a year ago and she even used the Gettysburg Trolley as transportation between the ceremony and reception at the hotel.  Absolutely stunning... we are even on a commercial for the hotel in the trolley as an advertisment, haha.
  • edited December 2011
    THank you to everyone!  We are thinking November of next year.  Budget is still up in the air, though I know we'll probably be around $20,000 (is that good?).  We've decided to get thru the holidays and then start the planning. 

I'm open to different ares around here.  We live in Enola.  His family lives in Chambersburg and mine is in Harrisburg.  (That's why I was thinking Gettysburg would be a great area.)  I'm trying to have a very elegant wedding - not quite black tie required but pretty formal. 

Let's see - the propsal was simple and very personal - just the 2 of us at home.  It was very nice!  He worked with Bryan Gavin (a famed diamond cutter and jeweler to the stars) to make my ring.  It is gorgeous!!  He did good! 

We've been working on our drafted guest list to try to figure out how many we will have.  How stressful!!

I'm so excited to have you gals to get some advice from!  Looking forward to 'chatting' in the months to come!!

Happy holidays everyone!!

image 165 Invited
    image 105 Are attending one amazing party!
    image33 Are missing out!
    image 27 Haven't sent back their responses yet
    RSVP Date: October 23
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards