Honeymoon Discussions

Jackson Hole

I may not get to check back until late this evening but, does anyone have any advice on Jackson Hole?

We love snowboarding and are thinking of honeymooning there.

Must do or places to eat recs? Do they have sleigh or carriage rides?

Thanks for any help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Jackson Hole

• Hi there. I'm the mod on the Wyoming board & live in JH. Here's what I got:

-yes, there are sleigh rides on the National Elk Refuge. You sign up at the National Museum of Wildlife Art. It's a really great experience. Dress very warm and definitely bring your camera. I usually bring a wool blanket when we go because it always seems to snow and soaking wet plus cold isn't a good combo.

-If it's in your budget, try to take a sled dog or snowmobile trip to Granite Hot Springs. I don't know about snowmobile rentals, because we have friends who own some, but JH Iditarod Tours are who you call for sled dogs. They're a great couple and treat their dogs extremely well.

-I've never done it, but you can cross country ski, snow coach, or snowmobile up in Yellowstone.

-Snowboarding-if you have time, go over to Grand Targhee for a day or 2. It's way more mellow than JH Ski Resort - both in attitude and terrain. We spend more time over there than at JH. They run specials on rooms, have bands apres ski, it's a great place.

Food in town:
    -Breakfast:
    Dolce - fresh-made doughnuts, coffee, breakfast tacos
    DOG - probably awful for you but delicious breakfast burritos
    Bubba's - this is where we eat every weekend, cheap, plain ol' breakfast food
    Pearl St. Bagels - bagels, coffee, & you can get to-go bagel sandwiches to take skiing with you

-Lunch:
    Merry Piglets - Mexican. Fresh, hot chips never stop coming to the table. Awesome margaritas. Also serve dinner.
    Shades Cafe - love the owners, love the food. Not expensive for what you get
    Sweetwater Cafe - next to Shades, nice deck, also serve dinner

Dinner:
    Thai Me Up - Thai food, of course. $6 curry special during happy hour. Brew their own beers
    Snake River Brewing - the brew pub-make their own beers, have pastas, sandwiches, salads, pizzas. Good stuff. Where the locals go at quittin time.
    Teton Thai - out at the Village - ski & then have amazing Thai food, can't go wrong
    Rendezvous Bistro - great food, not too expensive

Out at the ski resort (JH) there is the Village Cafe for cheap, quick food. The Mangy Moose for slightly better food (also a good apres ski place), and then there are a bunch of pricey places I can't recommend because I'm too broke to go to them :)

Good lord, that's probably more than you wanted. Can you tell I love my town? Have fun!! Hop over to the Wyoming board & visit if you need more input. It's snoozy over there, but you'll get good info.

• Thank you! That was actually exactly what I was looking for!

I was on that board a time or two, we originally wanted to elope in Jackson but alas he wanted his whole family there.

I saw the elk refuge sleigh ride and we will be doing that, I just wasn't sure if there was any romantic type. The dog sledding sounds amazing! I had no idea Jackson did that, we will definitely be checking that out!

The food is a huge help! We couldn't decide if we should shop locally and make food or eat out but it looks like we will try eating out for almost all meals.

We have two days to do whatever, I wanted to drive to either park. I was told (by someone locally in Texas, I know that isn't all that reliable lol) that yellowstone would most likely be closed March 2-8 (our time there). Is that probable? We wanted to see some wildlife. I have been all through yellowstone around Thanksgiving before so I was not as interested in the main sites but if it's open he would like to see them.

I know I have more questions but I will try those for now! Laughing  I am just as excited about going to your town as you are living there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    Also try Ocean City.  Some of the best chinese ever!  I agree with PP, Mangy Moose is awesome.  If you can make it into the park at all, (Teton) try Signal Mountain Lodge.  They have great restaurants.  ((Just got back from my trip out there.  We stay in Dubois, a town about an hour or two from Jackson, and there is a lot of great stuff there too.)

As for going to Yellowstone, in the immediate area around where you come in from the Jackson Hole side of things there isn't a lot to see.  My family usually sticks to the Tetons (when we're not in Dubois) as we can see and do a lot more with our time.  Jackson Lodge has some really nice restaurants and a great vista window.  Colter Bay is just a nifty place to stay too.

Have a great time.  This is seriously one of the greatest places on Earth.  I missed it the moment I got there and am extremly crabby now that I have had to leave.

EDIT: By not a lot to see in the immediate area in Yellowstone, I mean that we did a LOT of driving to see very little.  Yellowstone is fantastic (being the largest supervolcano on the continent and all) but really takes your entire trip focusing on that park to see it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dawn, I thought snowmobiling wasn't allowed at Yellowstone anymore?  We went way back in 2001 (yikes) and it was supposed to be the last year, due to the noise & the emmissions.

It was a lot of fun though!!!  We had to park at Flagg Ranch (we drove from NH) and take a snow coach up to the lodge at Yellowstone!
    Anniversary
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_jackson-hole?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5f7256a8-f6fd-449f-87eb-4fd20c09d3ffPost:4cd43572-bc8c-4ff9-8da3-84c74eb48960">Re: Jackson Hole</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dawn, I thought snowmobiling wasn't allowed at Yellowstone anymore?  We went way back in 2001 (yikes) and it was supposed to be the last year, due to the noise & the emmissions. It was a lot of fun though!!!  We had to park at Flagg Ranch (we drove from NH) and take a snow coach up to the lodge at Yellowstone!
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]
    That didn't happen. The debate resurfaces every year and gets killed. They are now focusing on reducing the numbers allowed per day, but I don't think it will ever be banned.

I think there is also a sleigh ride out at Teton Village, but I have no info on that.

The road in Yellowstone will still be closed in early March, so you would have to see it by snow coach or snowmobile. They don't plow the roads until late April/early May.

Just FYI: most locals don't eat at Ocean City. We've heard things. I did eat there before I heard such things and did think it was good though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards