New Jersey

inviting priest to reception

so i made a big mistake apparently by not inviting the priest to the reception. i really didn't know this was a standard, ive never seen a priest at the reception.

do you think i should call him today and invite him ? or is it too last minute?

we did not know the priest prior to our 2 meetings with him.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: inviting priest to reception

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They almost always decline the invite, as ours did, but I guess it's the gesture that matters? You could call if you feel the need but I don't think he'll think less of you for not inviting him. At this point I wouldn't sweat it.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, it's pretty close!  The wedding official should always be invited.  It seems about half the time they come and half the time they don't.  I would say most that don't are Catholic priests.  But you should still extend the invitation.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not inviting ours, as we met him one time and will not see him again until our wedding. If you don't have a relationship with them, I don't think you should feel obligated to invite them. We are having both a priest and a rabbi and the rabbi told us to send them an invite, so they have the directions...but she said not to include a response card - I don't think they ever attend the receptions, unless you have an actual longstanding relationship. The last couple of weddings I have attended did not have any clergy at them, except for one which had been their rabbi for many many years.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_inviting-priest-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:bd750d3a-a10b-4153-a974-74ff81f31e8bPost:97932e23-9336-4dd3-bd12-1183a77260a3">Re: inviting priest to reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not inviting ours, as we met him one time and will not see him again until our wedding. If you don't have a relationship with them, I don't think you should feel obligated to invite them. Posted by cutiepie12702[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely. I only met our priest once and we don't have a standing relationship with him. So we are not going to invite him to the reception.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Invite him now if you wish.

We invited ours kind of last-minute, and he came to the reception. But he's also a longtime framily friend because my parents are very active in our parish.
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally think it's a nice thought, but that you should only invite them if you consider them to be a family friend.

Generally I see no need. We brought that up with our officiant at the first meeting and he said that he never attends even if invited. He did a few times and it was just awkward bc he didn't know anybody.
  • carlaspeedcarlaspeed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just invited him today over the phone but I think he is busy later that day :-)
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did and he declined.  We also invited him to the rehearsal dinner, but he had to prepare for a funeral.  They usually are too busy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards