Wedding Party
Options

HELP! How do I deal with my soon to be sister in law who is also a bridesmaid?

I invited my soon to be sister in law to be a bridesmaid. When I invited her to be a part of the wedding party her and I got along really well. Recently she has become really self involved and mean towards me, my future husband, and the wedding. She also cannot commit to anything. I would not be surprised if the day before or the day of the wedding she decided she did not want to particpate.

How do I deal with this?

Re: HELP! How do I deal with my soon to be sister in law who is also a bridesmaid?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_deal-soon-sister-law-also-bridesmaid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:9a798e08-3085-468f-92ab-80527f7cfaf6Post:d7e71c45-c0cf-46e9-b339-e2cfe7c20f6a">HELP! How do I deal with my soon to be sister in law who is also a bridesmaid?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I invited my soon to be sister in law to be a bridesmaid. When I invited her to be a part of the wedding party her and I got along really well.<strong> Recently she has become really self involved and mean towards me, my future husband, and the wedding.</strong> She also cannot commit to anything. I would not be surprised if the day before or the day of the wedding she decided she did not want to particpate. How do I deal with this?
    Posted by beckahnoel1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Could you go into more detail of the part I've put in bold?

</div>
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    Lower your expectations.  Decide you will be happy no matter what happens.  There is nothing you can do without coming across as the bad guy here.  She's going to be family.  Tread lightly.  I decided to do this with my sister and it worked wonders.  Sis did nothing leading up to the wedding but showed up in the dress for the ceremony--satisfied me.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    What is she not doing that you are thinking she should be doing?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Tell her what you would like her to wear, and expect nothing more.  Keep smiling, because no matter how you feel about her, she'll be family after the wedding and you will see her at every holiday and family function.  It's almost always better to suck it up now than to deal with possibly lifetime of bad feelings stemming from a wedding. 

Is there something else going on in her life that your ILs or FI could help with? 
  • Options
    Sometimes it can be tough to deal with family.

One of my good friends had her DH's sisters as BMs at his request.  One cared little about the bride and all about herself.

The other was a drug addict and pregnant.

Either way, THEY looked bad at the wedding - not my friend the bride,.
  • Options
    I guess if she's not in the wedding, she's not in the wedding.  At this point there's nothing you can really do since you've already asked her.  

Perhaps she'll get the dress and show up, which is all she really needs to do anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We might have the same SIL. This sounds a lot like my situation. Just say to yourself if she shows, then she shows. If not, oh well. Don't let her, possibly, pulling out at the last minute ruin the wedding day.

The mean stuff: It could be that you are talking to much wedding with her. It could be that she likes to be the center of attention. Whatever the case just don't talk wedding unless you have too. Ignore the snide comments and hatefulness and know that you are being the bigger person by doing so.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards