Interfaith Weddings

Some Southern Baptists and some Catholics walk into an atheist's wedding...

... and I'm not too worried about it (both of our families are respectful and accepting of others' beliefs), but the traditions are kind of getting me.

My guy and I aren't religious. He's an atheist and I'm spiritual (on the side of agnostic), and while I'd like to have a handfasting it's not important enough to me to make my guests uncomfortable (while they were kind about it and didn't say anything, some older people at my sister's wedding last year were visibly discontent with her choice to have a handfasting). My mom and dad are also "interfaith" (deeply spiritual and Catholic) and don't push their beliefs on me; his parents are Christians, but don't care what he believes/respects his choices. It's more the extended family--aunts, uncles, and especially older relatives--that worry me.

We're not going to please everybody... I'm again going by my sister's wedding (which could have been labelled more like "Some Catholics and some very conservative Protestants walk into a semi-closet-Pagan wedding..."
She opted not to be given away, and the officiant (a close friend and not a religious official, ohno) said something about her choice and how "Because a woman is not an object to be posessed, Her-name is here today of her own accord to join His-name on equal footing." He worded it much more eloquently than that, of course, but the older folks on both sides of the family seemed a bit scandalized. I'll have my dad (or my stepdad, or both) walk me down the aisle, but (similarly) I want to make it clear that I'm not being given away.

As far as religious wedding traditions go, I'm just not having it. Neither of our families will be pleased at the lack of scripture read; mine won't dig the lack of unity candle. And so on.

Our officiant will be a minister-in-training (he's ordained, but still in college--a family member on my guy's side). He respects our religious beliefs (and lack thereof), and has agreed to perform the ceremony without mentioning God, but will our families be cool with that?

And (naturally :P) my Catholic and Cajun relatives are just going to love the fact that we've chosen not to serve alcohol. That's partly because of his family, partly because alcohol is freaking expensive, but mostly because neither of us like or drink alcohol and would rather not deal with intoxicated bridesmaids and what have you.

So all in all, while I'm sure they'll be kind and accepting, I don't think we're going to be able to really please our families here. Any tips on making this a little smoother and having everyone go home happy?

Re: Some Southern Baptists and some Catholics walk into an atheist's wedding...

• Well, a couple things here that are misconceptions on your and your family's part.

The unity candle isn't a Catholic tradition. It was invented on a soap opera. 

Also, Catholic teaching is very big on the fact that a woman is not given away--- both of the couple give of themselves completely and voluntarily. Technically, the actual catholic rite calls for the groom and bride to walk together. It allows for other cultural customs, and most don't do this, but that's what it is. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards