Wedding Etiquette Forum

Invitations Out Of Country

We live in upstate NY, we have 60% of our list that is out of state, we plan on sending everyone (in state and out) at the 8 week mark, but we have a couple in Canada that is also invited. Does anyone know if they will receive it around the same time as everyone else? Or do I need to send theirs earlier?

Edit: I did some research and found the answer to be 2-3 days up to 3 weeks. Not sure if anyoen had experience with this.
Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image

Re: Invitations Out Of Country

• edited January 2013
    At my work, we have a client who lives in Saskatchewan we are in Boston, and there is usually a delay of a few days when sending mail, but nothing crazy. I don't think it should be a problem. Good luck! ETA: sorry for the weird grammar. Mobile TK won't accept my parentheses.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • What part of Upstate NY are you from Carson? I originally hail from the rural CNY/outskirts of the ADK area and live in Toronto, and I'd say tack an extra two weeks based on my own experience. My In-Laws are located in the Niagara region and it takes even longer for them to get mail when my mother sends them a card or something. I think it all depends on WHERE in Upstate you're mailing from. If you're in say, Albany or Buffalo and sending to Toronto or Ottawa you'll probably be fine sending at the same time. But if either location is a bit rural, give it extra time. 

Also, TRIPLE CHECK YOUR POSTAL CODES. I was sent a domestic shower invitation where they had the first letter of my postal code wrong but the rest of the code and my address right, and it took an extra month for it to arrive. Canada Post will never win in a global competion of mail services. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm right outside of Rochester. They live in Palmerson, I guess it's in Ontario. Do I not include a stamp for the response card since its different postage?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • Give about a week extra, based on what I've received from the States. We didn't include return postage on our out of country RSVP's as we couldn't get stamps, obviously.  Some were DH's family in Chile, but our friends who are online just let us know that way if they were coming and what they wanted.    

• I had one invite in Canada.  I agree with everyone to make sure to take that invite in and stamp it seperately.  I included the regular RSVP, but instead of stamping it, I wrote them a seperate note letting them know that if it was easier for them that they could email me their RSVP and gave them my email address and that is what they ended up doing. 
  • It shouldn't take much longer than normal mail service. I'm finding that Canada Post is pretty good these days (I live in Quebec) and I sent something to the States recently. 

Since 50% of our guest list is from Mexico, we are doing away with mailed RSVPs entirely and just doing phone and email. The postal service in Mexico is a nightmare - we mailed a Christmas card at the start of December 2011 and it arrived in February 2012!!! There's no way that I'm going through that again... Plus, there are the ecological benefits of going paperless. :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitations-out-of-country?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:afb98d27-a005-4df4-a311-3cfd79a531b3Post:02ac4f2f-7334-4e75-b978-0344d136061d">Re:Invitations Out Of Country</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm right outside of Rochester. They live in Palmerson, I guess it's in Ontario. Do I not include a stamp for the response card since its different postage?
    Posted by Carson386[/QUOTE]

I didn't for my overseas guests. They need extra postage so I figured it was easier for them to figure it out than waste a stamp they couldn't use.
  • I mailed my invitations to Germany at the same time as the domestic ones.  Didn't even consider sending them separately.  I had them all done at the same time, so I mailed them all together.  I left postage off the RSVP cards since I obviously didn't have any German stamps. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards