Ohio-Cincinnati

Thank you note question

Ok our wedding is a little over a month away and we haven't had a single thing bought off our registry's and my shower invites have been out for a week now so I guess people are giving us money. How do I send a thank you for that? Do I just write and say thank you for the blank amount of money. It will go to good use.?

Re: Thank you note question

• TMarieInOHTMarieInOH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weird...we just did our "registry shopping" two weeks ago and received our first gift earlier last week! We are five months out.

I would say, alot of people probably won't scan the registry regardless- unless people are invited to a lot of weddings, or have registered themselves recently, I don't think it's something everyone thinks about- I know I didn't.

We received $100 from one of Fi's Aunt & Uncle for an engagement gift. We sent a thank you note thanking them for being so thoughtful and explained that we would put it towards our honeymoon fund. If you don't know specifically, I would say something to the effect of making your house a home...building a nest egg...ect.

Yay for the one month countdown!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't usually list the actual dollar amount, although some etiquette experts say you can so the giver knows that you received the proper amount. 

Thank them for their generosity and mention what you plan to do with the money (saving for a new home, trip, patio, etc.)

And just an FYI - most people won't bring money to your showers....I have found most people don't buy gifts until about 2 days before the shower. 
  • edited December 2011
    If you haven't had your shower yet, I wouldn't worry about it b/c most people, at least in my experience, won't buy your gift until the week of the shower. Since you are having a shower I highly doubt the guests coming to the shower are going to only give you cash - how boring would that be to watch you open cards w/ only money it them?! :) I would bet you that people are just waiting to purchase your gifts until closer to the shower or they weren't taken off your registry when they actually did purchase them. And you said that the invites have only been out for a week...give people time to buy you something. I don't know anyone that gets an invite and rushes out to the store to purchase the gift.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Agree with pp - my registries didn't move until the week of my shower. And I had family members calling my mom asking what we really wanted off the registry the day before the shower.

But good question anyway as you will receive monetary gifts at some point!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_thank-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:b3363587-b564-41be-a938-a1a3c5f77208Post:b508eae1-7db2-4111-b57a-de1b7c753544">Re: Thank you note question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't usually list the actual dollar amount, although some etiquette experts say you can so the giver knows that you received the proper amount.  Thank them for their generosity and mention what you plan to do with the money (saving for a new home, trip, patio, etc.) And just an FYI - most people won't bring money to your showers....I have found most people don't buy gifts until about 2 days before the shower. 
    Posted by Audge.Podge[/QUOTE]

<div>I wouldn't recommend putting the actual dollar amount.  It appears tacky.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Our thank you notes went much like this when they gave money:

Dear _______________,

It was so nice to see you at the __________________.  Sentence that says something specific about the shower/wedding.  Thank you so much for the generous gift.  DH and I are saving up to buy ________________, and your gift will help us a lot.

Love,
    Mr and Mrs.

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards