Christian Weddings

Using a DJ?

I'm planning to have a DJ for my reception, but I'm really nervous about finding one who will play clean, appropriate music (which I think is pretty easily controlled) and "behave" himself/herself as MC. I've heard horror stories about DJs not being at all what was expected.

My question is this: Did/will you use a DJ? If so, how did you determine they were a good fit for your Christian wedding reception?

Re: Using a DJ?

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We are using a friend from church who has a sound system.  He isn't a professional DJ, but we're giving him CDs or setting up an iPod (haven't thought that through yet) and we know he'll keep it totally clean as MC.  We didn't even think about trying to hire someone who would be appropriate.
  • edited December 2011
    I signed with a DJ -- but my DJ has this cool "client login" on his website so I can create a "do not play" playlist as well as a must-play playlist. I even specified that any songs with certain words are off limits. There's an addendum in my contract that says he'll have to give back the retainer fee if he plays songs that have foul words in them. After he agreed to that, I trust him!
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My DJ is a former classmate of mine from our Jesuit high school.  He just started his business a year or two ago, so he's really eager to please clients and take into account what I as a bride would like.  Also, he's done a lot of events at Catholic schools around San Francisco where I live, so I trust him.  He's gotten super positive reviews, and he was voted one of the best DJ's in the Bay Area soon after starting his business.

I don't think all DJ's are bad... you just have to shop and research. 

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used an iPod for our music so we didn't have to worry about it.  I would suggest that as you speak with DJs, you explain to them that you are looking for someone who will be appropriate.  The girls on your local board may have some suggestions of DJs who will not be inappropriate.  

One other suggestion - if you give your DJ a "do not play" list, negotiate that as part of your contract.  There should be a clause that if the DJ plays a song on the "do not play" list, he/she will forfeit a portion of the payment.  I've heard of so many examples of where a bride/groom had created a "do not play" list and the DJ played the songs anyway.  Do whatever you need to so that you will not have to deal with that.
  • edited December 2011
    Very helpful for me as well. thanx ladies.
    I want a DJ/MC because i want an announcer when we come in and for different parts of the reception (first dance, cake cutting, bouquet toss etc.) i also want someone to play what music when, but i do want control of what is played.  If anyone knows of one in the south florida area it would be very helpful.
  • edited December 2011

I had a DJ, and I also was able to create a Do Not Play list.  I mentioned that I wanted all clean versions (I always surprise myself that there even was a dirty word in a song when I download the wrong version!) and the DJ said that's all he plays anyway.  Just ask around--especially on your local board--for recommendations and ask the DJ about his policy on playing clean versions of songs, or sticking to a Do Not Play List. 

• edited December 2011
    We are hiring a "Christian DJ". He has played a various other weddings of close friends so we know that he will not be inappropriate. We are not having a dance reception so he will be perfect b/c he knows how to keep the crowd entertained without having to dance.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Think how different it would be if you would have never met the one who changed everything...
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We are using a DJ and were very specific that the music played MUST be clean. No cursing and no foul suggestive or overly sexualized music. The company we went with is very well recommended so I am hoping they will be respectful of our desires. I will also include those requirments in the "do not play" selections for our wedding.

I wish I would have thought to include that in the contract beforehand like PP's suggested. That would be the best way to make sure you get what you asked for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just gave our DJ a "must play" and a "do not play" list and everything went smoothly. He played a lot of classics to get even the older people out on the dance floor then when it got later he started playing top 40's and the only song that may have had anything profane in it was actually a song that DH and one of his GM's rapped to. Yes.. they rapped.. they took the microphone from the dj (this was all set up beforehand with a meeting with our dj) that they would rap to Warren G's Regulators) and they stole the show. It was absolutely hilarious and everyone is still talking about it. There are pics in my married bio under Reception of it, but the wedding video does much better justice to how hilarious it was and how much fun everyone had during it. The one or few swears in the song.. DH and his friend did a record scratch sound to "bleep" it out which was pretty funny. But in conclusion, our dj did a great job of making sure my mom didn't exclaim "What did he just say?!" lol..
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As mentioned before, you should be able to provide a playlist/do not playlist. Another suggestion, a few weeks befor eyour wedding, meet with your DJ and go over songs that are okay to play so that he can prepare and you can have that peace of mind :)

My brother has volunteered his services as DJ for my wedding :)
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours has given us a sheet that tells him what songs he needs to play during the ceremony and reception. Such as the recessional, introductions, etc. It also has spots for the kind of music you would like played during the cocktail hour and reception. Not only that but he has a spot for a do not play list. He goes by this sheet and if someone recommends a song on the do not play list he will not play it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using a DJ, haven't talked to him about what to play yet, but I assume they know how to cater to a specific crowd if they ever play at high school dances! or middle/jr school. And even for non-christian weddings, i'm sure there are lots of brides who don't want to offend their grandparents or corrupt their little cousins/nieces/nephews, etc...

But yeah, like the others said, I'm certain you can provide a "do not play" list in addition to a "must play" list! Good idea to discuss a clause in the contract.

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards