Jewish Weddings
Options

How much does a Rabbi/Cantor cost?

So we're looking for a Rabbi and/or Cantor to officiate at our interfaith wedding. 

Most of the people we've found were women. We're open to that, but for some reason both parents prefer men. However, I digress. 

The one we found is charging $1000 ! Is that normal for a Cantor? The wedding books I've been reading seem to say $100- 500.

Re: How much does a Rabbi/Cantor cost?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our Cantor is charging $600.  I think it's less if you are a member of their congregation.

I think it also depends on your location.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our officiants (rabbi and cantor) were free because we are members of their congregation.

I'd say 1k is high but not unheard of.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My rabbi charged $500.  If I wanted a cantor along with the rabbi, it would've cost an additional $400, so we went without a cantor.
  • Options
    texasmfstexasmfs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not a member of the congregation $1K is exactly right on.  I had friends who were having a destination wedding i n CO and needed a local clergy.  The best price they found was $1200.  Back in the early nineties the charge was at least $500 (that's when I worked for a rabbi) so, I'm not surprised the price has doubled in over a decade.  Good Luck. 

That's a really great question.  I would like to ask it of others on my blog!

Best,
    Michele
    Editor, The Modern Jewish Wedding.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are allowed to choose our price as my parents are members of the congregation. We are planning on spending $500.

In all honesty, the rabbi is the person who performs the ceremony. I don't mind spending more on that category since without it, you can't have a wedding.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    ucfandreaucfandrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not a member of his congregation, but my Rabbi typically charges $700.  Luckily, he is charging me $360 - back when I was in high school, I babysat for his daughters. 
  • Options
    masteralephmasteraleph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Note that beyond being a member/not a member, a lot of the rabbis who do interfaith weddings charge more.  There aren't a huge number of them, and some of them do it as their primary business (or at least a major component).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards