Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid gifts

Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot, but I wanted an opinion on the gifts I'm planning on getting my bridesmaids. My wedding is in December, so I was thinking of getting each of them a snowflake necklace, not to be worn on the wedding. I was also thinking of getting each of them a personalized wine glass with snowflakes on it, but some of my bridesmaids don't drink, so I also found water bottles of the same design. However, for some of the girls, I'm not sure who would prefer the wine glass and who would prefer the water bottle, so I was thinking of getting all of them the water bottle so no one gets jealous. Is this a better idea or should I just do my best guess of who would prefer what? Also, I'm planning on spending about 25 each on this, is that enough? I have 8 girls, so it adds up fast. And should I spend a bit more on my maid of honor?

Re: Bridesmaid gifts

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    Anything you give them to wear in the wedding is not a gift for them; that is part of their attire and is a gift for you.   Would you buy them a snowflake wine glass or water bottle if it were for a Christmas or birthday present?  That's how you shop for their gifts. Take your wedding completely out of the equation, and get them something you would get them for a gift that has nothing to do with your wedding. They do not have to all have the same gift. How much you spend is not important; spend what you can afford. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • That actually says not to be worn in the wedding, I lost a comma and a space somewhere in there lol. I'm worried that if I buy them different things though they'll get jealous or something if they like another girl's gift better.
  • Addie's right - it's really best to shop for them like it's a holiday or birthday (something I learned on here).  I tried to do that, while also keeping things similar for my bridesmaids.  For example, I gave all of my girls a purse that matched their personal style and tastes - they all like having a collection of bags; they also all got an accessory that fit them - one got vintage-style hair pins, another got a scarf, two got earrings, but different pairs - one more modern, another antique.

I'd try to start by thinking about things like hobbies - could you get each girl something that speaks to her interests, even if that means different things?  Or do all of you share an interest in something - collecting earrings or scarves or stationery or whatever - could you do similar things but vary each to be better align with each girl's color or style preferences?
    Anniversary

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaid-gifts-6?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:f69b5edf-dcfc-4a5c-a77e-9fec6f7ad176Post:0eaf149e-7cd6-459c-8ebb-4a6f00f81700">Re:Bridesmaid gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]That actually says not to be worn in the wedding, I lost a comma and a space somewhere in there lol. I'm worried that if I buy them different things though they'll get jealous or something if they like another girl's gift better.
    Posted by cmp121811[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry! I misread it! (Probably just used to seeing so many brides who ARE having the jewelry "gift" worn in the wedding!) Forgive me!

I don't think they would get jealous. I think they would be more likely to appreciate that you took the time to get them things they each would like. One of my best friends is a nut for purses. Me, not so much. If she and I got purses, she would be thrilled and I would be.....meh.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I am giving my bridesmaids wine glasses that I glittered up, along with a small bottle of wine, then a gemstone with properties that fit each person in a cage for a necklace.  They are being boxed up in decoupaged boxes....

I wanted to make sure they didn't think it was items for my wedding.
  • edited February 2013
    Ok me and my MOH made wine glasses for each girl and plan on giving those as a gift at the bacholorette party. We also made one for both mom's.
    As for gifts I am getting them all the same stuff and I keep feeling like I need to add more stuff.
    So far I have gotten them personalized travel bags, manicure set, double pane cup, glass photo frame, travel body spray from VS and a cosmetic bag that I'll probably put bandaids and day of wedding necessities in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards