Connecticut
Options

Italy for our honeymoon

Is anyone going to Italy for their honeymooon? If so what  is/was your budget and where/what are you doing?

Re: Italy for our honeymoon

• Options
    megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't but I spent time in Italy back in college.
    What are you looking to do?  Site see or relax on the coast?
    A common Italy Tour is Cinque Terre, Rome, Florence and Tuscany.  Kind of gives you the best of all.  But if you aren't into the history and site seeing then alot of people go to the Amalfi Coast.
    You can normally get a 7-10 night, 4 different city Italy tour for $1,700 a person.  Which includes hotel and train transfers, but not airfare.
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_italy-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:3fba4b6e-da32-424b-adff-14af64484a27Post:bb55f76f-6439-4441-bcda-ed8aa6127dad">Re: Italy for our honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]We aren't but I spent time in Italy back in college. What are you looking to do?  Site see or relax on the coast? A common Italy Tour is Cinque Terre, Rome, Florence and Tuscany.  Kind of gives you the best of all.  But if you aren't into the history and site seeing then alot of people go to the Amalfi Coast. You can normally get a 7-10 night, 4 different city Italy tour for $1,700 a person.  Which includes hotel and train transfers, but not airfare.
    Posted by megbrooks2011[/QUOTE]

<div>I did almost exactly this when I studied abroad: Rome, Florence, Venice, and Cinque Terre.  Cinque Terre is amazing. Venice is gorgeous but kind of jaded by tourism. And I absolutely fell in love with Rome. </div>
  • Options
    KTninoKTnino member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Italy in August for our honeymoon!!!! We are doing a tour of Venice, Florence and Rome I think it was about 1600 per person. We are doing some traveling after that through Italy then ending in Sicily at a resort...if you have any more specific questions I would be happy to help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We spent one week of our 2-week HM in Rome.  We stayed at a luxury hotel but paid for it in points (my DH travels alot for work so he had accumulated quite a bit) so the only thing we paid for in lodging was our daily breafast - room service.  We spent probably almost a thousand on other meals and activities, though.
    We did not do a tour - we traveled on our own.

Here's some of what we did / visited while in Rome:

-Roman Colloseum
    -Vittoriano (Victor Emmanuel Monument & Tomb of the Unknown Soldier)
    -Vatican City (St. Peter's Square, St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel)
    -Trevi Fountain
    -Piazza Navona
    -Villa Borghese
    -Spanish Steps

We were in Rome a total of 5 days (Sunday - Thur) and we flew home on Friday.
    The Bump ate my signature. DD - Apr 2011 DS - expected June 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went on a family trip and I hated Florence- so do your research on it before you go and figure out what cities/places are a must see for you! I thought Florence was dirty and loud- and maybe it's just where we stayed, but I was glad to be out of there!! We also went to Rome which I loved, and Cortona- it's an amazing small town on the top of a hill where my brother was studing abroad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sniksasniksa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a travel agent, the standard Italy trip is Venice, Florence and Rome, with Cinque Terre  stuck in there too sometimes. The cost is really dependent on what you're getting once you're there.  Hotels can have a huge variance in pricing, and a 2* hotel in Europe is NOT what a 2* hotel is here at all. You also want to consider that if you're traveling by train, you're going to have lug your stuff through the train stations and onto the trains on your own. Cars however can be a pain since there is little to no parking for them in the cities. Also, airfare is really high to europe this year for a variety of reasons, so that is a huge consideration depending on when your planning to go on the honeymoon. If you have any question feel free to run them by me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    137 image Invited to celebrate with us!
    85 image Are ready to boogie down!
    34 image Are party poopers!
    18 image Can't Find their mailbox?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_italy-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:3fba4b6e-da32-424b-adff-14af64484a27Post:e8d935a5-7af4-4409-8c77-1a99dff551db">Re: Italy for our honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went on a family trip and I hated Florence- so do your research on it before you go and figure out what cities/places are a must see for you! I thought Florence was dirty and loud- and maybe it's just where we stayed, but I was glad to be out of there!! We also went to Rome which I loved, and Cortona- it's an amazing small town on the top of a hill where my brother was studing abroad.
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]

<div>I did not like Florence at all either! A lot of my friends were studying abroad there so it was more like a party stop.</div><div>For tourism, I've heard you either love it or hate it. I hated it. </div>
  • Options
    megbrooks2011megbrooks2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_italy-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:3fba4b6e-da32-424b-adff-14af64484a27Post:f1da80f4-006b-4cf2-ad35-a73266b7af55">Re: Italy for our honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Italy for our honeymoon : I did not like Florence at all either! A lot of my friends were studying abroad there so it was more like a party stop. For tourism, I've heard you either love it or hate it. I hated it. 
    Posted by Vanessa630[/QUOTE]

Awww...I LOVED Florence.  I did SOOO much shopping there in the markets.  And the David, Ponte Veccio, Duomo and all the Piazzas...we actually got stuck there another day because of a train strike (which OP happens all the time in Italy) and spent the day at the Boboli Gardens.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_italy-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:3fba4b6e-da32-424b-adff-14af64484a27Post:3ccac6e8-d33b-422a-930d-51e9ca6253d5">Re: Italy for our honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Italy for our honeymoon : Awww...I LOVED Florence.  I did SOOO much shopping there in the markets.  And the David, Ponte Veccio, Duomo and all the Piazzas...we actually got stuck there another day because of a train strike (which OP happens all the time in Italy) and spent the day at the Boboli Gardens.
    Posted by megbrooks2011[/QUOTE]

<div>haha, see I'm always so amazed at everybody's different experiences w/Florence. I definitely didn't do any shopping and I think I was still in love with Rome. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_italy-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:3fba4b6e-da32-424b-adff-14af64484a27Post:daeb3f65-cee4-423c-9d01-c770936ce54d">Re: Italy for our honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Italy for our honeymoon : haha, see I'm always so amazed at everybody's different experiences w/Florence. I definitely didn't do any shopping and I think I was still in love with Rome. 
    Posted by Vanessa630[/QUOTE]

HAHAH yes- I agree, It is really funny to see the different responses- and I feel it's always mixed reviews when you talk to people who have been to Florence.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards