Massachusetts-Boston

XP from Etiquette. Reception/seating question

I'm getting married at CMAC.  I'm having an issue with my reception location and accomodating our guest list and band.  When we toured the venue it was empty (we are renting/bringing in everything) so it was really hard to visualize.  We were told it would accomodate 150 people comfortably for a seated dinner with a DJ, and also were told a band over 5 pieces would cut into room a bit.  No problem we thought.

Our total guest list is 139, and we have a band (6 piece I think), and are having a seated dinner.  We've been working on the assumption of having 130 people show up, which leaves us with 13 tables of 10 each. 

The further along I get into planning, the more and more real weddings I've stalked through photographer's blogs and such.  The room has a balcony overlooking the room, so every photographer gets an aerial shot of the room.  Most of these weddings appear to average about 100 people.  None of these weddings look to have over 120 people (I count tables and chairs).  After seeing these and thinking about the dimensions more (38x51) I think 150 was an unreasonable estimate of # of guests that could fit.

So, just now, we've been told by our caterer that yes, 130 is tight for that space and the remedy is to break down a couple tables when dinner is over for dancing.  They supposedly do it all the time.  I find the thought of booting guests out of chairs (even if there will be empty ones when people are dancing) to be rude.  I also think it is tacky to have staff in the front of the room clearing out tables and chairs and dragging them through the room. 

Has anyone seen this done before?  Maybe I just never noticed.  I don't know what to do at this point b/c our guest list is shaved down to bare bones. 

Sorry so long.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Re: XP from Etiquette. Reception/seating question

• Not on direct point, but have you considered a different table configuration? I believe if you do long rectangle tables instead of round you might be able to seat more people in the same space. Rounds take up the most space.
  • I asked my caterer that and she said we should stick w rounds. I haven't seen the room set up w long tables.
  • Obviously you know your guest list better than I do, but expecting 130 people from 139 invitations seems a bit high to me.  (We have a lot of OOT guests, so we are expecting a lower acceptance rate).  I think it's wise to have a plan in case everyone does show up, but you might not have that many guests.

I agree that it is a little weird to have the staff moving tables in the middle of the reception, but you could make it work.  Maybe purposefully sit young adults who you know will dance at those tables, and make sure they put in some high tables along the side of the room for their drinks/belongings.
  • Honestly I agree with karenmruff. I think you will have many more than just 9 guests unable to attend. In all probability you will wind up closer to 100 guests actually attending.

We are inviting 150, and when we went to do our tasting and obtain our pricing estimate for the reception, the manager said to go by the number of 130 attending. This is coming from someone who has overseen countless weddings so has a really good feel for how many off the top usually don't show up.

That being said, it's always smart to plan on the safe side. Is there a particular reason why the caterer said to stick with round tables?

• hi, i had my wedding at CMAC.  our guest list was 150 and 100 attended.  I dont know how many OOT guests you have, but that cut down on attendees significantly.  we had plenty of space with that configuration.  Having worked a ton of receptions myself in the bad old daysin colleg i can say that the staff can break down table in a quick and inconspicuous way.  
    to give you a picture most of the time they will clear the table to the linens then move it to the side to finish the job.  you can choose to place friends that you know will be on the dance floor anyway at those tables.  i tried to attach a couple of pics to help you see that we had plenty of room. Even with the fact that my family does not get off the dance floor ever =)   I loved getting married at that site, it was so beautiful.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards