Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

PIP: Centerpieces--opinions?

I came up with this idea a year ago, and finally tried it out tonight.

It's a cylinder glass filled with water and lemons, and a floralyte in the bottom with glass beads

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but does it have enough oomphf?

My mom and sister think maybe there needs to be something on top--or bigger lemons?

Re: PIP: Centerpieces--opinions?

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it needs a little something too.  I like the ones where you see the inside of the lemons, you know, cut in half.  It just looks a little empty or something. 
  • edited December 2011
    Are you thinking of adding any votives around it? Or maybe a floating candle on top?

On a side note, where did you find the best price for the floralytes?
  • mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does need something on top. I can't figure out exactly what though. Sorry that's not much help.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with juliebug. I would cut the lemons in half then fill the vase, I think that would give it more appeal to the eye and then you wouldn't need anything on top.   :)
  • amberproamberpro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like where you're going with this.

I agree with the slicing thing.  Have larger lemons, maybe, with some whole, some sliced and pressed up against vase.  Also, maybe fill the vase all the way up (even to overflowing) and then have some lemons laying on the table with votives. 

Another option would be to mix the type of vases you were using on the tables (maybe mix in some apothecary jars with lids).  That may add interest... this of course if you haven't already purchased the vases :)

Or maybe you could add a single stem of a dramatic flower like a cala lily or orchid at an angle with larger lemons.

These are all just ideas... I love the idea!  Very fresh and summery.  GL!
    photo images_zps41edd072.jpg

Carter born 5/28/11
    BFP 9/27/12 EDD 6/11/13, MC 9wks, no HB

• edited December 2011
    Ditto to what the others have said about adding something like flowers on top and cutting the lemons in half.   For additional inspiration, here are some pictures:

• kcmedstudentkcmedstudent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about simply adding an inch and a half or two inch ribbon slightly below the top of the vase?  I'm assuming yellow is one of your colors?  Use the other color for the ribbon.
  • almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It doesn't seem like there are enough beads, or maybe if you cut the lemons in half and added alternated putting in lemons and beads so that there is a little space between the lemons to where the floralyte could possibly make the whole thing glow. I like the ribon around the top idea, and love Chocolate Delight's pics.

Another idea is to cut the lemons in thinner slices so that they are more transparent and the whole thing glows more readily.
  • edited December 2011

I agree about the ribbon as a possibility.   If you haven't bought all the vases yet, perhaps one that flares at the top or has a more dramatic edge.  

Sorry that probably doesn't help much but I think slicing some or all of the lemons and adding a ribbon edge would be really cute!

• edited December 2011
    I agree that the thinner slices will appear more transparent and glow.Definently no matter what you choose to do fill it more. If you decide to fill it with the whole lemons I think if it was overflowing it would change the look and possibly filll in that look that it still needs something. It is a evening reception correct? If so I think the "glow" would be really cool.

I am so jealous I wish I could do fruit centerpieces, but there really is not any fushia pink fruits. hehe
  • edited December 2011
    Try not adding the floralyes and put ribbon around  the bottom of the vase
  • kdotwebsterkdotwebster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say add flowers. Maybe white flowers to bring out the yellow.
  • ashlinxoashlinxo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would say maybe lose the beads on the bottom and fill up the vase to the top with lemons. i think it looks great, i was gonna do this same idea with limes.
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have to keep the floralytes and vases becaue I already bought them. Unfortunately, the light you see at the bottom is about all the light the floralyte provides. The beads are staying too because otherwise you can see the light and it is UGLY.

I like the idea of adding flowers and ribbon. I may float an opened rose or daisy at the top. I'd love to add a whole arrangement, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a "cheaper" centerpiece.

I might see if I can cut some of the lemons--I really like that look. I wonder if we can cut them in advance? The caterer is putting the centerpieces together and on the tables, but they are kind of complicated to begin with, and having her cut the lemons might be too much.

Do you think the cut lemons would make the water cloudy?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh...and I got the floralytes at The Sale Place--I think they came out to $2.20 a piece. I plan to sell them afterwards though, because they are reusuable. It's a LONG drive to that place, though, at least from the west side of Dallas.

I wish we could do votives or floating candles, but the venue doesn't allow real candles, hence the floralytes.
  • almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, one more idea-- What if you put the floralyte in the middle? Or a quarter of the way up from the bottom so that the light may disperse in both directions. Layer lemons and beads....

Eh... quite the conundrum.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...it's intriguing--I guess I could try and wedge it between some lemons? It looks kind of like an LED tealight if you have ever seen those. I might try that
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Marissa! I'm thinking of adding some blue or green ones into some of our centerpieces.  I really like the ribbon around the vases, I think it adds something... here's a pic of the ribbon I'm testing out for some of our centerpieces (like you I'm trying to cut out some of the "floral" budget).

Not sure if the blue or green light will shine through the colored beads.  I'm thinking of putting one stem of hydrangea on the tallest vase, and then floating candles on the other two. May move the ribbon up some depending on the light.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards