Wedding Invitations & Paper

Hand cancellation of STD's/invites?

I am not sure if I accurately understand what "hand cancellation" means for the post office? and if this will solve my STD postcard problem?  I mailed a couple of test STDs to myself and my mom this week to see how they held up in the mail.  The postcards themselves held up well and I am happy with that aspect.  However, the post office's stamp (a big "Happy Holidays" along with their other routing info) partially covered some of the wedding info (on my mom's it actually covered FI's name, making it hard to read if you didn't already know his name).  I am wondering if hand cancellation could solve this problem or if I need to just put the postcards in envelopes (which I really don't want to do since it defeats the purpose of the postcard for my DW).  Or maybe I should just take my chances that some of them will have the PO stamp in a less than desirable place.  ??  TIA for any tips or suggestions. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hand cancellation of STD's/invites?

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_hand-cancellation-of-stdsinvites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:209fcb9a-fb41-4326-8df9-9975ad6e743ePost:c8d18558-98a5-4e32-b5ff-22ef3f719b99">Hand cancellation of STD's/invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not sure if I accurately understand what "hand cancellation" means for the post office? and if this will solve my STD postcard problem?  I mailed a couple of test STDs to myself and my mom this week to see how they held up in the mail.  The postcards themselves held up well and I am happy with that aspect.  However, the post office's stamp (a big "Happy Holidays" along with their other routing info) partially covered some of the wedding info (on my mom's it actually covered FI's name, making it hard to read if you didn't already know his name).  I am wondering if hand cancellation could solve this problem or if I need to just put the postcards in envelopes (which I really don't want to do since it defeats the purpose of the postcard for my DW).  Or maybe I should just take my chances that some of them will have the PO stamp in a less than desirable place.  ??  TIA for any tips or suggestions. 
    Posted by NO2012[/QUOTE]

I actually went and hand cancelled my wedding invites today.  Instead of putting the invites through a machine that puts the post mark on them (the happy holidays stamp) a rubber stamp is used to post mark them by hand.  The postmark is placed over the stamp.  It may make it better but will not totally eliminate the problem.  It is done so the invites don't get torn up in a machine.  In your case I think it would be best to put the postcards in an envelope.  Also not all post offices hand cancel anymore.  Out of the 3 in my town only 1 does it and it's only during non peak hours of 10-2 M-F so it's probably not worth taking time off of work for.  Hope that helps.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • HobokenBride is exactly right about hand cancelling.

I think in your case envelopes might be the way to go. Hand cancelling still stamps the save the date, so maybe it wouldn't help in your case. If budget allow it, I'd go with envelopes. 
  • I went to the trouble of hand cancelling my invitations. I saw my parents' invitations, and they still had the automated stamping all over them.  It could have been a one-time thing, but that was my experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards