Military Brides

Teach me Tuesday

2»

Re: Teach me Tuesday

• edited December 2011

There are four commonwealths - Virginia, Kentucky, Pennslyvania, and Massachusetts. A Commonwealth is pretty close to a State but there are some differences. I believe the reason why they don't have statehood is because they didnt want to sign some government document back in like the 1700's. Pretty much it just means Virginia is governed by the people. There are governments within each city that take care of everything and then there is the House of Delegates that run the state of VA along with the Governor, and Virginia has its own state consitution as well.
    There are some counties, Princess Anne County is actually in Virginia Beach. . I find it so weird (just because I was practically raised there) that other states have cities inside of counties. Just.. weird to me since I was raised complete opposite.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:c1b77bb6-5057-44c5-a0bf-79afb4b5c515">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]amh- I thought VA was a state, but just like Norfolk and some surrounding cities were commonwealths? Can you clarify?     On a separate note, it's bizzare (and obnoxious) to me that I can only purchase hard liquor at ABC stores. In WI hard liquor can be sold anywhere with a license. I'm pretty sure the only law in WI is that hard liquor can't be sold in stores after 9:00, and beer can't be sold in stores after midnight.
    Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]

Yeah the ABC stores are all state ran - which is pretty much a monoply. If you go to Total Wine you can sign a petition about this. :) The only other place you can buy liquor at in VA other than an ABC store is on base - the state itself is pretty conservative and the ABC stores displays that. Up until recently they were closed on Sundays.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In WI hard liqour is not sold after 9 in some towns, but 10 in other towns. 
    If you hit a cow while driving, you have to pay the farmer for thier cows, also cows have the right of ways on roads ( Funny story- the first time my family moved to WI was the first time I saw cows and I though that they were going to eat me. One night, my sister and I are dirving back home and going through the country- there was something up ahead in the road. It looked huge, we slowed down, and thought it was a bear, turned out it was a black angus cow, just sittingin the middle of the road. We had to wait like 20 minutes for it to move- we couldn't run around because then we would of had to back track 15 miles.)

Also, it is illegal to sleep naked. And you can not harrass a squirrel where I live. (I actuall saw a guy get arrested for throwing nuts at a squrriel and for chasing them. On my campus it is a $25 fine.)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_teach-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:8aaf9691-df59-4318-9a12-dbe5252fb7c4Post:b769e269-a6e8-4662-b30f-891887ca9a39">Re: Teach me Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In WI hard liqour is not sold after 9 in some towns, but 10 in other towns.  If you hit a cow while driving, you have to pay the farmer for thier cows, also cows have the right of ways on roads ( Funny story- the first time my family moved to WI was the first time I saw cows and I though that they were going to eat me. One night, my sister and I are dirving back home and going through the country- there was something up ahead in the road. It looked huge, we slowed down, and thought it was a bear, turned out it was a black angus cow, just sittingin the middle of the road. We had to wait like 20 minutes for it to move- we couldn't run around because then we would of had to back track 15 miles.) Also, it is illegal to sleep naked. And you can not harrass a squirrel where I live. (I actuall saw a guy get arrested for throwing nuts at a squrriel and for chasing them. On my campus it is a $25 fine.)
    Posted by Danidawn20[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, I would just like to clarify that WI is not a a total hick state with cows roaming everywhere! Just out in the country sometimes. (I lived there for 22 years and never saw a cow cross a road haha)! Also, Dani- omg the squirrels! I think the campus has the highest concentration of squirrels of anywhere!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards