Arizona-Phoenix

Phoenix Honeymoon

Hey All,

I'm a Boston bride who will be in Phoenix for our honeymoon.  We have one night booked up at the Grand Canyon.  We've never been out west.  What else do you suggest?  Things to do, places to see, restaurants to go to..
TIA!
image 180 Invited
image 160 are joining in!!
image 17 are missing out!!
image 3 are late to RSVP!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Phoenix Honeymoon

• CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Given that you'll be honeymooning at the height of summer, I'd recommend Northern Arizona.  It'll be a good 20 degrees cooler than the Phoenix metro area!  Sedona, perhaps?

If you are coming into the Valley of the Sun: what kinds of things do you like to do and see?  What foods do you enjoy?  We can give you some specific recommendations if you give us an idea of the experiences you're looking for. :)
  • mia082683mia082683 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We've already booked a hotel for one night in the canyon (el Tovar) and for the rest of the time in Phoenix (Arizona Grand Resort).  We like zoos, aquariums, cool architecture, history, unique stuff..

Food: FI doesn't eat anything, and I eat everything. lol.  He's more of an American meat and potatoes guy, but any suggestions are welcome as we'll probably try some new things when we're out there.  :)
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    The zoo here is awesome....  but not so much when it's 105 out...  which is the average daily highs with the time that you'll be here if you're taking the honeymoon right after the wedding.   Last summer it was up to 114 around that time of year.

Even the ones of us that live here and are fairly used to it don't go out and do things in the summer...  it's a whole different story coming from northern states and not being acclimated at all.   I can't even think of too much to suggest that would be anywhere near comfortable to do in Phoenix.  I agree with Sedona, or Flagstaff, or sticking around the canyon area.  The higher the elevation the better!

Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• edited December 2011
    I would stick up north, check out sedona there are quite a few areas with lots of shops and has the uniqueness your looking for, at least compared to phoenix. Check out some museums also.
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally love the heat. :)  The zoo is great, but it might be a bit hot.  The wildlife world zoo opened an aquarium a couple years ago (Westside of the valley in Litchfield Park) so you could check out zoo and aquarium animals there!  I think your resort has water park-ish things like a lazy river, but if you want some fun slides, you could check out Wet n' Wild Waterpark (also west side...on 43rd ave and pinnacle peak).  Or....you could go tubing down the Salt River which is almost a must in the summertime. Google Salt River Tubing for pricing--just rent the tubes and go! 

I can't recommend too much history or architecture...nothing like Boston :)  You could always check out the Heard Museum which has a lot of Native American art pottery, textiles, etc.  Rawhide also has western history. 

Foodwise, Old Town Scottsdale has a lot of fun local restaurants (there are a lot of chains otherwise).  I LOVE Oreganos (must get the chocolate chip pizookie)--it's a pizza place. Be warned though, there is always a 40 minute wait on the weekends no matter which location you go to, so go during the week.  I also love The Breakfast Club for breakfast (also in Scottsdale, across from Fashion Square Mall).  Pinnacle Peak's Patio is also a fun steak place with a very western feel.  Go around sunset for pretty pictures and views. And wear a tie...

You said that you already planned on the Grand Canyon...there's a train that heads up there that you should check out taking if you can. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards