Getting in Shape

Already bought my dress... now wondering about altering!

I'm starting Jenny Craig, and I know that I can lose about 2lbs a week on it.  I've got a lot of weight to lose, and I'm doing it for several reasons - mostly health related.

Unfortunately, I think I ordered my dress too early, considering I still have a year to go before my September wedding.  My dress is a size 26, and I would ideally like to lose about 100lbs in the next year.

My question is: how many sizes can a dress be altered before it's no longer worth it, and I need to buy a new dress?  

My dress is very simple: spagetti straps, rounded neckline, a few embroidered white daisies, high bustline (under the breast) and then A-line from there - the body is two layers, one sheer over the other - into a chapel length train.  It ties up the back corset-style.

Here's a low-resolution picture of the front...  http://www.flickr.com/photos/solargalaxy_6/4719448186/

M.

Re: Already bought my dress... now wondering about altering!

• I think the general rule is "up 2, down 4", but depending on embellihsments, fabric, etc., it might be different.  I've usually only seen an alteration of 2 down, maybe 3.
    Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'd say talk to the people at the store you ordered the dress, and see what can be done.  Do you know if the dress has been ordered yet?  If you don't need the dress for a while, they have be putting off ordering it for a bit.  If that's the case, I'd ask them to wait and find out the latest they would need to know.  At that point, have them order the size that would fit you at that point.

You can also find out from them what they think about alterations.  As perfectvelvet said, it really depends on the details of the dress.  That being said, its usually much easier to take a dress in than let it out.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards