New York

Sushi/Asian Reception Menu

How would you feel about this as a guest? Here's an idea of what I'm thinking for the menu. It's a spring wedding. I found out that wegmans does catering, and everything on this list I can get there, other than the wedding cake. I was thinking of serving it buffet style in serving pans and multi level serving trays. I was thinking of just hiring servers to set up the buffet and to serve drinks, but I wouldn't know who to hire for that, I can easily ask someone in my family, but I want them to have fun too. Anyway, thoughts on the menu!

Cocktail Hour:
Cheese Tray         
Fresh Vegetable Tray              
Fresh Fruit Tray               
Cooked Shrimp and Crab Claw Tray  

Entrees:
BBQ Asian Pork Ribs    
Beef with Broccoli     
Cashew Chicken            
Sushi           

Sides:
Asian Organic Dumplings          
Shrimp Purses              
Vegetable Lo Mein           
Wok Seared Vegetables     
White Rice                     
Fried Rice                    

Beverages:
Soda
Bottled Water      
Bottled Beer                     
White Wine
Red Wine                        
Hot Tea
Iced Tea 

Dessert:
Red Velvet Wedding Cake
Candy Bar  

here's what the sushi tray looks like:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sushi/Asian Reception Menu

• edited December 2011
    Yummy!
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kariannecarrkariannecarr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's all foods that we love as a couple, but do you think there is enough variation for people with different tastes?

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I mean, you know your guests better than me... but, if I was invited to the wedding, I would only be satisfied with cocktail hour and desert. I am a very picky eater, and would not eat anything, except maybe white rice.<strong> Maybe possibly have one other option that is more "american" incase you have people like me?</strong>
    Posted by libordke22[/QUOTE]

Do you think some pasta options would work for that? Maybe one with chicken one with sausage, and different sauces?

I have some picky eaters, but I also have a large croud of sushi lovers, which is why I asked, thanks

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I talked to my sister, and we decided with two pasta options there would be too many entrees, and there were to many to begin with. Also We changed up the drink menu a bit, to simplify it and have it work better with our budget and season. (plus I love mango rum, and my sister thinks it would be a sin not to serve lol)

In an attempt to simplify and diversify:

Cocktail Hour:
    Cheese Tray
    Fresh Vegetable Tray
    Fresh Fruit Tray
    Cooked Shrimp Tray

Entrees:
    Pasta Alfredo With Chicken & Peas
    Cashew Chicken
    Sushi

Sides:
    Cesar Salad
    Vegetable Lo Mein
    Wok Seared Vegetables
    Fried Rice

Beverages:
    Water
    Keg Beer
    White Wine
    Mango Cocktail
    Iced Tea

Dessert:
    Red Velvet Wedding Cake
    Candy Bar

• edited December 2011
    I think the second menu is much more inclusive. The original menu would be great for me but my FI would have to eat cheese and veggies.  This new menu sounds delish! I would suggest asking the pickiest eater in your family if they would have enough to eat. I'd be willing to bet it's fine though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the input guys!

• edited December 2011
    I think you have some wonderful ideas that will please most... one thing I have learned the hard way already... and finally after being ready to pull my hair out- I was able to accept.... and as a result, my #1 piece of advice to all of my fellow brides-
    YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE.
    Simple as that.  It is very sweet of you to consider all of your picky eaters and try to plan a menu that will accomodate them... BUT don't drive yourself crazy over it and (this is my opinion at least) don't waste your time, effort or aggravation showing many of your guests... it will only cause a headache.  You will run into the picky vegan (who you swear you saw chowing down a hamburger last summer... hmm...) the lactose intolerant guest, the one on some crazy no carb diet, the "I hate everything" guest... UGH!!!  They are out there and I can guarantee, you will have at least one super difficult personat the table... we all do.

Like I said, it is very sweet to be considerate, but at the end of the day, this is you and your Fi's day... if you are happy with the menu... that is really what matters.

So, I would play with it a little... add a few dishes that almost everyone loves, but don't compromise what you want or the style you are going for... those who don't dig in can always swing by Mickey D's on their way home. 
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    I like both but I think I like menu one a little bit more.  Also, I'm not sure if you just forgot to type this in, but I think you should definitely include coffee on the menu (I'm a hot tea drinker over coffee).  Most people drink coffee on a more regular basis than tea, I think it would be almost weird if you didn't have it :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_sushiasian-reception-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:76d0e7ad-bef3-488a-a310-00a93a8fa204Post:a41650f3-d0bd-4b35-8118-9889605560b4">Re: Sushi/Asian Reception Menu</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you have some wonderful ideas that will please most... one thing I have learned the hard way already... and finally after being ready to pull my hair out- I was able to accept.... and as a result, my #1 piece of advice to all of my fellow brides- YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE. Simple as that.  It is very sweet of you to consider all of your picky eaters and try to plan a menu that will accomodate them... BUT don't drive yourself crazy over it and (this is my opinion at least) don't waste your time, effort or aggravation showing many of your guests... it will only cause a headache.  You will run into the picky vegan (who you swear you saw chowing down a hamburger last summer... hmm...) the lactose intolerant guest, the one on some crazy no carb diet, the "I hate everything" guest... UGH!!!  They are out there and I can guarantee, you will have at least one super difficult personat the table... we all do. Like I said, it is very sweet to be considerate, but at the end of the day, this is you and your Fi's day... if you are happy with the menu... that is really what matters. So, I would play with it a little... add a few dishes that almost everyone loves, but don't compromise what you want or the style you are going for... those who don't dig in can always swing by Mickey D's on their way home. 
    Posted by kevinandmonica2011[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying but you really should be considerate of your guests. You should always have a vegetarian option. If you have a relative with an allergy you should make sure to have something for them. Yes it is your day but you are hosting. Don't be a terrible host just so you can have a pretty princess day. You can't please everyone but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_sushiasian-reception-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:76d0e7ad-bef3-488a-a310-00a93a8fa204Post:4e4f2069-04c2-4576-a208-ec06c5f7d806">Re: Sushi/Asian Reception Menu</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sushi/Asian Reception Menu : I understand what you're saying but you really should be considerate of your guests. You should always have a vegetarian option. If you have a relative with an allergy you should make sure to have something for them. Yes it is your day but you are hosting. Don't be a terrible host just so you can have a pretty princess day. You can't please everyone but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
    Posted by KD+BC[/QUOTE]

Wow... seriously???  A terrible host and a pretty princess day?  I am not even sure how to respond to that.

Basically, the point that I was trying to get across is that it is virtually impossible to try to please every single one of your guests.  I absolutely agree that you should be mindful and considerate of different tastes, but short of hooking up a Golden Corrall style buffet, plus chinese buffett, plus pizza buffet, plus chocolate buffett... someone is not going to have their favorite meal or favorite beer on tap.  At some point you have to be practical.  Your responsiblity, as the host, is to ensure that your guests treated to a delicious meal, good drinks (if having them) and lots of fun... not to ensure that every single guest is able to indulge in their favorite meal.  You really shouldn't stress over everyone's food preferences.  It is just too much.  It is nice to have a few other options for those guests who may have non-traditional food preferences, but seriously, don't stress over selecting courses that will please everyone... it is just not realistic.

As far as relatives having allergies and such... let's be real here... do you really know every single guest/relative's allergies?  Come on.... if you try to figure all of that out (in addition to vegetarian, vegan, orgainc, no carb, soy only), you may as well write up a 3 page questionnaire to send out with you invitations and prepare to spend weeks analyzing the ingrediant lists for possible menu options.

Personally, I think your best bet would be to include a few widely accepted and appreciated dishes (just like you considered adding in pastas to an asian menu).  Don't stress over it.  Everyone should be able to find something they like... and if not... you tried.... you can only be so accomodating. 
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    We are going to have to agree to disagree. I do know the allergies for my fmaily. My aunt and cousin are both allergic to chocolate so we are having two kinds of cake, chocolate and lemon. My cousin is a vegetarian and we have plenty of non meat foods.

I understand that you can't please everyone but your orignal post made it sound like you should pick exactly what you want to eat and tell your family to eff off if they don't like it. It sounds like you agree with me though,

[QUOTE] Personally, I think your best bet would be to include a few widely accepted and appreciated dishes (just like you considered adding in pastas to an asian menu).  [/QUOTE]
  • edited December 2011
    I can agree to disagree.  I am going off of my own personal experience.  I will be having upwards of 150 guests... setting the date alone was borderline ridiculous...
    ("But we go to camp that weekend... well we have a birthday in the family that weekend... we I will still be in school that week..." and on and on and on).  Finally I just said forget it... I am not asking anyone other than the most important people (parents, MOH, BM, grandparents) about the date.
    I know that the larger the gruop, the more difficult it is to get everyone to agree.  At some point, enough is enough.  I am doing my best to be more than accomodating to my guests by offering a buffet style meal with many options and several different types of drinks (alcoholic and non) but I have come to accept the fact the somehow, SOMEONE will be unhappy about something.  I can pull my hair out stressing over it... or just accept it.
    I want everyone to have an amazing time and am doing my best to make it happen... but at the end of the day, if one or two people don't like the cake or food or drinks or decor... and my fiance and I did... I can live with that.Smile

Bottom line, like I said... you simply can't please everyone.
    Online Garage Sale
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards