Outdoor Weddings

Casual beach wedding, groomsmen attire

We are just starting to plan our beach wedding for Fall 2013, and my fiance is insisting on wearing nice shorts.  He wants to look well put-together, but comfortable and cool at the same time.  I know that he is not very heat tolerant, but I am having a hard time with this.  Has anyone seen pictures or been to a beach wedding where the men wore shorts?  I feel like I need to see pictures before I decide how hard to fight the issue.  Thanks.

Re: Casual beach wedding, groomsmen attire

• pinterest under beach weddings HTH
  • Thanks for your help...there wasn't a lot on there, but at least I got to see a couple of options
  • i would look at beach weddings
  • He's getting married, for Pete's sake, can he not dress up for a couple of hours?  Shorts aren't appropriate, especially if you are wearing a long gown.  He's a grown man, not a five year old boy.  Loose fitting linen pants will be just as comfortable.
  • We got married on the beach and my husband wore khakies.  I wouldn't have wanted him to wear shorts.  He also wore a blazer rather than a suit/tux.  I think it's worth dressing up for the short time you're actually going to be out there.  We got married at 5:30 pm also, so maybe you want to consider getting married in the evening so it's slightly cooler.  
  • I agree that shorts are inappropriate if you are wearing a wedding dress. Linen pants are definitely comfortable and cool, I would try to push for that.
  • I would like to get on the linen pants bandwagon too.  I think they will be just as cool as shorts, if not more, but look more "weddingy"
  • Any way you can compromise?  Maybe he can wear khakis or linen pants for the ceremony and pictures, then change into shorts for the reception.

For images, go to Google and type in "images beach wedding shorts" and you will see a page with tons of pics to look at.   I personally don't like it, but that's just me.
    DSC_9275
  • Try the wedding tropics website - they have a whole line of linen pants that are perfect for beach weddings.
  • I saw a beach wedding where the men wore coral/pink long sleeved dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up and black shorts- the pressed kind, not cargo or anything. The bride was in a long formal ivory gown, but it was slim and simple. Personally it didn't bother me. They all seemed comfortable, and depending on the group, that can easily take precedence over "etiquette" or whatever is considered typical. That said, if you are really against it as the bride, or if you plan on wearing a fancier gown (like huge skirt and lots of embellishments)I think 30 mins in pants for the ceremony is fair and it's a great idea to offer your groom the shorts-at-reception compromise that was previously mentioned. Good luck and congrats!
    Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited October 2012
    I went to a beach wedding this summer where the the guys wore khakis and guayaberas and the groom added a khaki blazer.

Like Avion said, can't he wear them for like 2 hours and then change? If he's going to wear shorts he might as well wear jeans...
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Kacin+Daniel:  Glad to hear someone has at least seen this...and not thought it looked totally offensive.  I am not sure it's my thing, but I am trying to be open-minded before I completely put the kabbosh on the idea.  Praciticing the art of compromise.  Thanks, also, to everyone who posted NON-hateful remarks.  No need for insults here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards