Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Non denominational woes

So.... being the heathen of a Roman Catholic raised family, my fiance and I have decided to do a non-denominational wedding ceremony. We have differing views from how we were raised, so we do not feel it would make sense to get married under something we do not believe in. We also plan to have the wedding ceremony and reception in the same venue to make it easier.

I guess, being new to this, I am wondering is it still acceptable to have brides maids, etc. Also, is a rehearsal dinner necessary?

Re: Non denominational woes

• Often times the religion or lack thereof that you get married in has nothing to do with BMs, RDs, and other "traditional" wedding inclusions.  These are not things exclusive to the catholic church

• You can pretty much do the whole wedding shebang - bridesmaids, rehearsal, parties, showers, etc etc, the only thing you wouldn't do is get married in a church!

A rehearsal, IMO, is necessary.  It doesn't have to be a big deal but it's always a good idea to get your wedding party together and run through what's happening with the wedding, especially if they've never been there before - where to go, where to stand, and then say thank you with a nice dinner.  A rehearsal makes for a much smoother wedding.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_non-denominational-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5df0dc63-db72-4f99-acf5-c4c6a427c9dePost:4873c628-e4c3-42b9-96e6-18c92c1c8791">Re: Non denominational woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've known atheists, Wiccans, and just plain old Protestant Christians who have all had ceremonies and still had all the stuff you are talking about.  The only difference when religion comes into play is usually the format and length of the ceremony. Off-topic a bit, but are you wanting a SECULAR ceremony (as in, no mention of God) or just a non-denominational one (God included, but no specific ties to the Catholic/Baptist/Lutheran church, etc)?
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Hey..... we are planning just a non-denominational wedding. We believe in a higher power; just not organized religion- I am by NO MEANS trying to make this about religion, so if I am offending anyone, that is not my aim. Just stating the facts of what we want.
    Thanks for all the input!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_non-denominational-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5df0dc63-db72-4f99-acf5-c4c6a427c9dePost:0182938f-7789-43f4-97ca-417ba55bb127">Re: Non denominational woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Non denominational woes : Hey..... we are planning just a non-denominational wedding. We believe in a higher power; just not organized religion- I am by NO MEANS trying to make this about religion, so if I am offending anyone, that is not my aim. Just stating the facts of what we want. Thanks for all the input!!
    Posted by weddingbelletracey[/QUOTE]

I don't think stage was trying to offend you at all here, she was just stating the options available.  Her questions was whether you want to include "God" or not, and I think you took it out of context.  Calm down some.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Oh... Im sorry.. I wasn't offended in the least! I wanted to make sure I wasn't offending anyone else. Lol... it is so hard to tell via email, etc. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_non-denominational-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:5df0dc63-db72-4f99-acf5-c4c6a427c9dePost:522e4dad-bc1f-48b2-a732-8e59244923c4">Re: Non denominational woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh... Im sorry.. I wasn't offended in the least! I wanted to make sure I wasn't offending anyone else. Lol... it is so hard to tell via email, etc. :)
    Posted by weddingbelletracey[/QUOTE]

When you start your response as "HEY" it comes off as you being offended.   Who cares what other people in here think.  If they are religious, they should respect the fact that others are not, and vice versa.  I am not religious. At all.  But I respect the ideas of those who do and go about my life the way I want to live it.  If they have a problem and want to judge me, that's their prerogative. 
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards