Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Italy for only one week.. What to do??

My fiance and I are doing DW in Aruba so we wanted to go somewhere more active for our HM. We want to do Italy but we only have 7 nights. Has anyone done Italy in that length of time? Most posts have spent 10+ nights in Italy so I have no idea how I should budget my time withoul feeling rushed.

Is there somewhere we can stay for all 7 nights that would let us take day trips to most of the major cities?

Or should we fit in 2 nights per city? It's so hard deciding which cities to decide on but was thinking Rome, Venice, Florence, and maybe a day trip to Amalfi Coast. 

Re: Italy for only one week.. What to do??

• Options

I studied abroad in Rome and it is really your best choice for accessibility and max sight seeing. I do think you are trying to cram too many places in at once, which will lead you to missing some great stuff and not enjoying the culture of each place.  Italy isn't going anywhere, you should save some stops for an anniversary trip.

That said, I reccomend bunking in Rome and taking an overnight trip to Florence (it can be done in a short period of time via train) and maybe to Venice too. Unless you are very into art, you should choose Venice over Florence. Florence is lovely but I have always found it sort of boring. Venice is awesome to spend a couple of days walking around and absorbing.  What time of year are you going? I wouldn't do Amalfi coast unless its the summer and you can really enjoy the beachy atmosphere.

So basically, stay in Rome, and take a train to Venice for a couple nights, and then go back to Rome. With seven days, that is really the best option. And have fun! Rome is one of the best and most romantic cities in the world!

Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Depends on the kind of honeymoon you want.

If you want just a really relaxing and scenic HM... go to amalfi and make daytrips out to Capri and other surrounding towns.  So gorgeous and idyllic.

But if you want a lot of history, art, nightlife, etc. go to Rome.  I would live in Rome if I could.  And you can do daytrips to several different places like Florence or take a short trip to the beach over at Ostia (depends on when you're going, of course)

Just don't pack too much into your 7 days!  Part of that needs to be for traveling and resting.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I would also live in Rome if I could.  I spent a month there in college, and it wasn't enough.  If you want to maximize your time, fly into Venice, spend a night there, then a night in florence, then the remainder of your time in Rome.  Fly out of Rome.  That way you aren't losing the roundtrip travel time, just the one-way travel time.  I would definitely do at least 4 or 5 nights in Rome though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We were going to do Italy for our HM... but we ended up not having enough funds for the trip we wanted (to us, it was either really long trip or none at all.  We're hoping to go for our first or second anniversary).

But when we priced it out, the price difference between flying in and out of the same city versus flying in one city and out another (we were debating between Rome/Rome or Rome/Naples) was like $50.  It really doesn't cost much more to fly in one city and out another, which is a great idea to save time and see more!

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_italy-for-only-7-days-what-to-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b31b83fa-0098-4d3d-aa8d-79da52a449b8Post:5ba87057-3be5-415e-89b8-82839f704348">Re: Italy for only one week.. What to do??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were going to do Italy for our HM... but we ended up not having enough funds for the trip we wanted (to us, it was either really long trip or none at all.  We're hoping to go for our first or second anniversary). But when we priced it out, the price difference between flying in and out of the same city versus flying in one city and out another (we were debating between Rome/Rome or Rome/Naples) <strong>was like $50. </strong> It really doesn't cost much more to fly in one city and out another, which is a great idea to save time and see more!
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep, and depending on which train you take you almost make up for it when you buy one-way train fares instead of roundtrip train fares.  At least that's how it was when I was there.  It certainly could have changed.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you wanted to do one round-trip day trip out of Rome I would pick Pompeii hands down - it's in the outskirts of Naples.  There's really not enough time to do both Pompeii and Naples in a single day, but Pompeii is one of those places that literally knocked the wind out of me when I saw it.  In my life I have seen 4 things that did that, and Pompeii, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peters Basilica were three of the four.  That's really why I recommend spending most of your time in that area.  The coast is certainly beautiful but it doesn't have the awe factor that Rome and Pompeii have.</div><div>
    </div><div> So that's what I would do - make your way to Rome from Venice and maybe stop in Florence on your way. While in Rome do one day trip to Pompeii.  We took day trips all over, and I think that's really the best of the best (Florence has more than art by the way - I have an art degree and I actually loved the outdoor markets there more than the art.  But Renaissance art isn't my thing).  Oh and the other thing about Pompeii?  It cost me less than 30 euros from start to finish, including round trip train fares and the 11 euro entrance fee.  It might have gone up a bit since I've been there, but it's amazing how few tourists make a point to see it.  We were one of only two or three groups there on a Saturday in May, and it's the size of a small city.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to Italy but not to Naples or Pompeii.  Our Italy plans didn't include Pompeii, so maybe we'll reconsider and go!

I'd heard mixed reviews ("worth it!" vs. "not worth it!"), but I'm thinking since I love history and historical sites, I'd probably love Pompeii.

St. Peter's basilica and the inside of the Colisseum are what did that to me.  Just breathtaking and awe-inspiring....like you've been transported back in time!

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_italy-for-only-7-days-what-to-do?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b31b83fa-0098-4d3d-aa8d-79da52a449b8Post:0e4da27a-df94-4e33-8887-929c0b3d5a24">Re: Italy for only one week.. What to do??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to Italy but not to Naples or Pompeii.  Our Italy plans didn't include Pompeii, so maybe we'll reconsider and go! I'd heard mixed reviews ("worth it!" vs. "not worth it!"), but I'm thinking since I love history and historical sites, I'd probably love Pompeii. St. Peter's basilica and the inside of the Colisseum are what did that to me.  Just breathtaking and awe-inspiring....like you've been transported back in time!
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

<div> I think reading a little about it first helps - I can't believe some people say it's not worth it.  It's a 2000 year old city!  And you can go exploring in dozens of buildings, houses, etc. with very few guardrails or ropes blocking places off.  It's really open.  If you like history at all I think it's a must see.  It's like the forum times 10... but better because there are like no people there.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to Rome before and loved it. If you are going in the summer than I would recommend Capri. I've only been to Capri in the wintertime and it was still gorgeous so I could only imagine it when all of the flowers are in bloom! Personally I hated Naples. Reason being was that you have to be lucky when you go; you can either experience a beautiful city or when you've run out of luck, you arrive when they are on strike and garbage litters almost every square inch of the city. Unfortunately that's when I went and I left in a few hours to Capri. The food there is great but I'd be worried risking going there on your honeymoon when garbage strikes happen very often.
  • Options
    We're doing our honeymoon in Sicily, for 7 nights. We'll fly in and out of Palermo but travel within Sicily is very reasonable. There are lots of amazing cathedrals and chapels in Palermo and the surrounding area, and on the south coast (2.5 hours from Palermo by train, which only costs about 7.5 euros per person) there's Agrigento and the Valley of Temples with loads of ancient Greek temples. We'll be 3 nights in Palermo and 4 in Agrigento and I think it will be amazing. Accommodation isn't too expensive in Sicily either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards