Ohio-Columbus
Options

Using Live Fish Question

Does anyone know a lot about gold fish?  My centerpieces will have live fish (blood fin tetra to be exact).  We are setting up the majority of the reception site the night before and I was wondering if it would be ok to add the water to the vases then and let it get to room temp over night.  Then we would add the fish the next morning before the pictures.  Would this be ok to do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Using Live Fish Question

• Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That would probably be okay. I would suggest making sure that your fish and your vases use the same water while they adjust. If your fish go into shock from water change temps, they might die during your reception, and that might not be so good for dining guests!

See if you can find a good ph balancer to add to both your vase water and your fishies water.
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    R&M 2008R&M 2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What exactly are you doing with all of the fish AFTER your reception???
    I certainly hope they will all have a home!  Even if they do, it's still somewhat traumatic for them to change environments a couple of times in a matter of hours.

Also, there have been MANY stories of girls doing this and guests arrive at their table with dead fish floating in their centerpiece. Awesome. Even if they're not dead, they've probably gone to the bathroom and then the guests get to stare at murky water. Also kind of gross.

Just my opinion, but I would seriously reconsider using live fish in your centerpieces.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There will only be one fish per bowl and the water will be water from their current tank.  After the reception the fish are going home with my niece (a flower girl) and the ring bearer.  They both have large aquariums in their rooms full of tetra (hence why I am using blood fin tetra).  I just wasn't sure if the water would be ok to remove and place into a separate container over night.  Not sure how it would affect the Ph balance of the water once it is removed from the aquarium and put into the vases overnight.  But I just picked up some of the water testing strips from Jack's aquarium so I'm sure it will be fine.  Also all of the vases will have aquarium plants that are currently growing in the fish tank so hopefully that will keep the balance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with R&M. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hmmmmm...  I'm not going to tell you not to do this, but there is a lot to think about....

Things to consider:
    Where is the water coming from for the glasses at the reception?  You'll need to get the chlorine out if you're using tap water (I believe there are drops available at aquarium stores).

Is there any way to can include some water from the tanks the fish are coming from? 
    This will aid their transition.
    During transportation, you need to make sure temperature stays constant... its going to be July right?  how long will they be indoors vs outdoors (I can't remember if your wedding is inside or outside)

It's not so much getting the 'new water' to room temperature, but more so making sure that the temperature is very close if not exactly the temperature as the water they are coming from.    Sudden temperature changes kill fish fast.  as does chlorine.  (there is the fine line between fish needing fresh water and keep their environment constant).

If you don't feed the fish the day before the wedding, you shouldn't have a poopy water issue. 

While oxygen in the water is important, if you don't feed them for a day, and they have some fresh water for the day of the wedding, they should be okay. 

I would definitely find a friend who has some fish experience to be put in charge of fish for the day if you really want to do this... it's going to be work to make sure you don't have any floaters during dinner.

EDIT**  I just want to be sure that you understand that having fish as apart of your centerpieces is not going to be a quick half our set up - that will only result in dead fish :(   getting everything set up, checking temperatures and ph and chlorine levels and slow transfers (the only way to be sure you'll have happy fish) is going to take a few hours, then having someone to check in on the fish making sure you're not about to lose any.  For this to be ethically sound (and not gross out your guests, lol), there is work involved. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I would think twice about using live fish as centerpices. IMO, that isn't really appetizing or sanitary with them floating around right where your guests are trying to eat dinner. I certainly wouldn't like it if I was a guest at your wedding.

FWIW, if you asked this same question on one of the other non local boards, you would get ripped a new one. Most of the ladies are against using anything live for centerpieces as well as favors (ie: releasing butterflies instead of doing sparklers or bubbles).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Missy... Please do not ask this question on one of the international boards some people really freak out about this!
  • Options
    cassandrae913cassandrae913 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FWTW that is what our sorority did for our theme night rush parties. We always ended up with less fish as the night wore on. I do not mean to sound snobby, but I do not really think it is appropriate for a wedding. I am sure you can come up with another centerpiece. We certainly did not get the idea out of the blue, and  I would hate for some of your guests to be thinking of sorority cheers during your wedding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning on having caged snow leopards and polar bears at my reception.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No offense, but I think having live animals as part of your decor is just kind of mean.  And I am sure you'll have at least one other guest who feels the way I do. 
  • Options
    lizhudson88lizhudson88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it's a really cool idea. I'll be doing it too :) You've got a place for your fish to go after the reception and EmDizzle gave some great tips (thanks!). Obviously you've thought about it and I don't think it's inhumane at all esp. with all of your preparations and precautions.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_using-live-fish-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:fb469ec1-b816-4763-8c18-140f3f61db6aPost:d63241af-85d7-4287-8cde-9978c7141040">Re: Using Live Fish Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on having caged snow leopards and polar bears at my reception.
    Posted by mstar284[/QUOTE]

<div>Aw, you stole my idea!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You might not want to serve fish for your meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards