Gay Weddings
Options

White ribbons at wedding

Hello all!

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on an idea I've been throwing around for my upcoming June wedding.  FI and I are generally pretty liberal and live in a notoriously conservative state.  I have many close gay friends (including my Man of Honor), and the "issue" (although it shouldn't even be an issue) of gay marriage has always been a hot point with me.  Since it's something I'm so passionate about and have friends I would like to support, I thought about possibly having cards saying something about marriage equality with website addresses where guests could go to support the fight, and have white ribbon pins attached to the cards for guests to wear if they are in support of marriage equality.  I thought it would be nice to see how many of our family and friends are in support of it, even though I know I risk ticking off some of my guests.  My question is - is this tacky?  Obnoxious?  Offensive?  I want to ask my MOH what he thinks, but he's incredibly busy finishing his degree and is pretty much MIA until he gets a break.

TIA for any comments/concerns/better ideas you might have!  :)

Re: White ribbons at wedding

• Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest maybe asking a few members of your family. They might know your group a little better and be able to judge how they would react to something like that.

That being said, if you like this, I say go for it, but maybe be discreet. A little card w/a white ribbon at each place setting or just a few at each table saying something along the lines of "The newlyweds support marriage for all, and this ribbon symbolizes that."
  • Options
    Fabi&NitaFabi&Nita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be wonderful!! I say go for it and you can get more info on whiteknot.org
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker It's a Girl!! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say go for it... if they are at ur wedding then they support it in some way!.

i finally found the one!
    blog post photo

• Options
    nicknuttncnicknuttnc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think it is a great idea....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing white knot pins as favors of sorts at our wedding, and I plan to just have them available in a basket with a sign so people who want one can take one.  I made pins out of shrinky dink plastic instead of ribbon so they're a little more sturdy and durable.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_white-ribbons-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:0ec2135d-9942-43ef-85ed-dd0c0df62a47Post:79a0a631-52d1-446f-8ee0-2050cbc63532">Re: White ribbons at wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We're doing white knot pins as favors of sorts at our wedding, and I plan to just have them available in a basket with a sign so people who want one can take one.</strong>  I made pins out of shrinky dink plastic instead of ribbon so they're a little more sturdy and durable.
    Posted by jayetheartist[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what I was planning on doing.  :)  Since we're having a summer wedding and it will be HOT as hades outside, we're doing a cool-down station (lemonade and water, paper fans, etc.) before the ceremony, so I thought I would set them out there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i like what others have said about where to put them. i think in a basket would be cute, with a big white ribbon tied around it, or you could put them on little cards  at the table.
    its YOUR wedding, dont worry to much about making others mad.  if they dont support it then they dont have to choose to wear a ribbon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We put them in a bowl next to our guest list with a letter in a frame asking everyone to wear them in support of our marriage. To our surprise, EVERYONE wore them... including someone who is very against gay marriage who came to our wedding. It was amazing to see the support from our friends and family. 
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket My million dollar dog :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards