Just Engaged and Proposals

Just Engaged and dont know where to start :-/

Hi my hunny proposed on Christmas Day.  it was so unexpected but yet so exciting.  I picked out the ring but didnt know when he was going to propose.  His mom passed away from cancer December 3rd of this year so i was not expecting an engagement so soon. 
Im usually a lurker and read everyones post and get ideas from here. Now i am in your shoes and it feels good :)

we are looking to wed some time in September and I feel so overwhelmed with the thought of planning.  Where do I start?

Thanks for listening.....

Re: Just Engaged and dont know where to start :-/

• So sorry to hear about his Mom! My condolences! And at the same time, congratulations!!!

The way I started was going to a bookstore, pouring over the bridal planning section, and selecting a book.

Having everything on paper, right there in my hands made it seem less daunting than the never-ending list you get on the knot. Even though it's broken up similarly, it seemed to make it less scary!

I don't refer back to my book much now, but it's also a keepsake with little pages for my fiance and I to fill out and look back on. Plus, it has all sorts of charts and comparison pages for venues and vendors that you don't get on the knot. It really saved my life when it came to planning! Plus, it made the overwhelming amount of information on the knot seem easier to navigate through!

Hope this helps! Good luck and welcome to the engaged club! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally understandwhat you are feeling.  My advice to you...  Take a few days to really ENJOY being engaged.  You get to show off your ring :) tell the proposal story etc.  When I got engaged FI and I made a decision to simply enjoy our first few days being engaged rather than attacking the planning immediatly.  If something came up, we chatted about it but we didn't make any concrete plans the first few days.
    The first big planning that we started with was the venue.  Thats what we focused on the first two weeks.  Also, we figured out an approximate guest count so that we rule out venues.  Another important thing to start with is budget.  We sat down with our parents within the first two weeks.  They are each contributing a certain amount and anything above that we have to pay ourselves. 
    Have fun planning!  Don't get too overwhelmed. 
    IMO the most important thing to remember is... the most important thing with wedding day is that at the end of the day YOU WILL BE MARRIED!  When you focus on that, everything else becomes a little less significant :)
  • I used TK's check list function and it was very helpful in knowing where to start. Obviously you don't have to do everything on that list, but it helped me calm down and get organized.

Congrats!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Congrats! I'd start with a date, guest list, and budget. Once you figure out what you're comfortable spending I'd start researching vendors
  • My prayers are with you for your lost. I would pick a date and then enjoy being engaged first.  Enjoy hearing him say fiancee' and you enjoy saying fiance'. Then get a budget, and decided where you want to get married ( Beach, Church, Garden, Muesum). Take that date, and your budget and see if you are willing to pay for that venue. 

Let the Fun times begin
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards