Gay Weddings

Same-Sex Destination Wedding?

Hi Ladies,

I am a bride myself but I am helping my best friend plan a 2012 wedding to her wonderful fiancee.  They are Massachusetts residents so they will be legally recognized as a married couple.  However, they are interested in having a destination wedding in Mexico, the Caribbean, etc.  Will their ceremony in an international location be legally binding at home in Massachusetts?  Or would they have to get married at a courthouse before or after the trip?

Thank you for any information that you can give me!

Re: Same-Sex Destination Wedding?

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Same sex marriage is legal in Mexico City. That is the only place in Mexico and the Caribbean islands. Tell your friend to call his local municipality to find out if they recognize international marriages, I don't think the treatment would be any different for a same sex couple since same sex marriage is legal in Massachusetts. If they want a ceremony outside of Mexico City, then they would definitely need to have a JOP ceremony at home to make it legal.

Photobucket
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Massachusetts would recognize a same-sex ceremony from another jurisdiction in which it was legal.  However, if you want to have one in Mexico City, there will be two issues:

• • You'll need to figure out how legally complex it is to get married in Mexico City.  Unless you know Spanish and are able to do the research yourselves, you will probably need a wedding planner local to the area.

• • For the rest of your life, whenever you need to prove you are married, you will need to get a copy of the marriage certificate from Mexico City, have it notarized by the American Embassy in Mexico, then get a certified translation from an approved translation service in the US.  (It's been a while since I did this sort of thing, so there may actually be a step or two more than that.)  You may want to consider a JOP ceremony in the US, just to avoid that kind of hassle.
  • edited December 2011
    I own PROMESA. www.gayweddingmexico.com   I have a representative in Mexico City who will walk you personally through the legalities of same sex unions and yes it is deemed legal in your state if your state recognizes the union legally.
    Also we plan for these events and vacations and special occassions throughout Mexico and her amazing destinations. Please visit us for additional and helpful information
  • PoohsPookie13PoohsPookie13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hiiii MrsWilson,

My Hunnie and I are planning for Hawaii, Maui to be specific because Starting in January 2012, civil unions for gay couples will be legally recognized in Hawaii.... Here's the resort we are working with https://www.mauisunseeker.com look under the activites link

Hope I helped
  • Love1308Love1308 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello all i am looking for a vendor i can have my cermony at in Florida any ideas?? we are going out of state to get our license thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards