New York-Western

DJ recommendations

Well the planning is moving right along and I am now looking into DJs. I want a vendor that does uplighting as well. Anyone have any good experiences to share from their wedding? I'm out of town so it's been tough; I had my mother and sister go to a bridal show for me so I really only have the info on the DJs that were at that show. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: DJ recommendations

• I'm going with Moving Music (DJ Tony Romano). We haven't had the wedding yet, but he was great when my FI and I met him at different shows and he came recommended by multiple employees at Pearl Street. Moving Music also does uplighting, which we are skipping, and they've added photobooths as well, which we are using.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the help I will look into them. Happy planning!
  • We used Whirlin Disc. Our DJ was Mike. I would HIGHLY recommend them. Mike did an awesome job, the dance floor was packed the whole night! It was great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We used DJ Joey B from Phenomenon Sounds.  He did a great job keeping the dance floor crowded, working in our must plays, and avoiding our "do not play" list.  Before you choose, whoever you talk to should ask you about how interactive you want the DJ to be, what kind of vibe you want for the wedding, etc.  As long as you are clear about what you want (someone who talks a lot, someone who is mostly quiet and just plays the music, etc.) and what songs you do and don't want to hear, I'm sure most DJs are fine.

Good luck!
    Alison
  • We had Dave from Purpose Driven DJs. He's a personal friend and co-worker, so it was an easy choice. He was attentive to us both before while planning and at the reception, making sure our needs were met and we were having fun. We had a blast and received many compliments on the music. The really cool thing about Purpose Driven DJs is that they're community and service focused, and donate 10% of the cost of your event to the charity of your choice. We chose the Buffalo City Mission. 
  • Thanks ladies! Now I think I should have enough options to chose from and will book someone by this weekend. Oh sweet progress :
  • we used Ryan from Phenomenon.  Personally, i think Phenomenon is leaps and bounds above other companies (and if you book at a bridal show, you get free uplights! or at least you did a year or so ago!)

Find out what is important to you.  Do you tend to notice how songs are mixed or transitioned from one to the next?  Are you looking to customize your play list and have a 'do not play list'? Do you want a variety of music, or stick with one genre?

...we saw a few of the other popular companies at bridal shows and they were TERRRIBLE as far as sound quality, mixing/transitioning songs (2 companies actually cut songs short in the middle! awful!).  Personalities were Ok across the board.  I dont know....as music nerds, we were both really impressed with Phenomenon. I have family/friends coming up to us 4 months later telling us how much fun our wedding was, and how good the music was.  I'd say that's success.
  • We second Tony from Moving Music
  • Check out SoundWave. We went with them because they have good reviews and they were super friendly and reasonably priced.
    - you were born an original, don't die a copy -
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards