Alabama
Options

B'ham Neighborhoods?

Sorry for a non-wedding related post, but The Nest AL board seems a little dead. My husband and I are moving from Mass. to B'ham this summer and are hoping to buy a home between now and then. We're interested in the Crestwood and Avondale areas, but would love to hear thoughts on them. Do you live in the area or know anyone who does? What's your take? Pros, cons, general vibe and reputation? Thanks in advance!

Re: B'ham Neighborhoods?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey there!!  I am sure I will get skewered on this post, but whatever, I speak the truth.  I think you should look at Homewood. 

Yes, the houses are a bit smaller and more money, but  you cannot beat the Edgewood community within Homewood.  Crestwood and Avondale have gorgeous parts- and most definitely an up and coming neighborhood (you will get more for your money)- but resale can be dicey because the public schools just aren't accceptable for most people.  So, you can do private school or move- and thats when the Crestwood families move to Homewood, when their kids are about to hit kindergarten.  True, my FI and I dont have kids yet- lol, and won't have a kindergartener for at least 6 years- but we really wanted a neighborhood that wasa safe, retained its value and had good schools.  Despite the real estate collapse of 2008-2010, Homewood has kept is value.

Yes, all parts of Crestwood, Avondale and Homewood have their sketchy parts, but Homewood is a great young professional and familly place.  Shops, parks, walk to everything.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about Pelham/Riverchase area? In Pelham, you would get a good school system, and bigger houses/more yard for a more affordable price. I'm not sure where you will be working but it is maybe 20 minutes from the Homewood area. While Homewood is an excellent neighborhood to raise a family, it is pricey so if you are looking for more affordable/more space & still a great suburb, I would seriously consider Pelham. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the Edgewood community.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We live in the Bluff Park area of Hoover and it is wonderful.  Lots of younger families moving in, beautiful older homes (a few new developments too), fantastic schools, and a great sense of community.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All the neighborhoods the other girls listed are nice, but I'm partial to the Avondale/Crestwood area. Especially if you or your husband are going to work downtown and if you're young, with no kids and want to be in a city environment. I have lots of friends who live in that neighborhood and we go to church there. I live in Trussville, which I also love, but it's more suburban. It just depends on what you're looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards