Christian Weddings

Cocktail Hour

Hi is anyone doing a cocktail hour? It is included in our package and we are substituting the cocktails for virgin cocktails. any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
11-12-11
Image and video hosting by TinyPicVisit The Knot! Visit Purple.weddings.com

Two Become One

November 12, 2011

288 invited
163 accepted!
9 can't make it
116 haven't responded yet....
RSVP Date October 12, 2011

Re: Cocktail Hour

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We're doing an Appetizer Hour with Mocktails.  There are some recipes on my planning bio under "Reception."  I haven't tried any of them yet, but I think we're going to try to make some while I'm home for Christmas.  I got a lot of them from katanne09's bio, and if you google "Mocktails" tons of recipes will pop up.  HTH!
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we didnt have an official one, as we did our pictures before hand so one wasnt necessary.  however, our bar was open and we had a few munchies out like cheese and crackers and i think a fruit and veggie tray.  we pretty much started lunch about 1/2 hour after folks arrived, but we wanted somethign out for folks to eat while we waited for everyone to make their way over from teh ceremony (15 minute drive away).
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a wedding without a cocktail hour. All the venues in my area (where I was married in CT) included cocktail hour as part of the reception package. We had a full open bar with 8 passed hors d'ouevres and a fruit and cheese tower. We took our pictures beforehand too, so cocktail hour was nice because we were able to mingle more with our guests. I also think it's a great transition from the ceremony into the reception so your guests have an opportunity to get something to eat and can mingle before dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes we are! Our package includes an hour open bar (although we're paying for that portion because neither of our parents drink so they don't want to pay for it). So we'll have that, as well as our passed appetizers and maybe a standing fruit and cheese display. I'd like to do a gourmet coffee bar too...we'll see. Mom and Dad wouldn't mind paying for that! Even though they don't drink coffee they don't mind paying for it!
  • edited December 2011
    If you decide to do mocktails, you might want to talk with your venue about the cost -- mocktails don't require liquor, so they are less expensive to make.  You might bargain with the venue about cost for your package -- basically ask if you can sub in an extra hors d'oeuvres in place of doing liquor since you're doing mocktails instead.

Well, that is IF you decide to do any sort of special drinks.

We're doing cocktail hour with our venue as well -- we are going to hang behind at the church to do our formal photos since I'm pretty sure I do NOT want to do a "first look," so we'll need something for the guests to do as soon as the ceremony is over.

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    FI and I are having a candy bar and/or appetizer table at the reception for our guests to nibble and mingle at while we're finishing off the last of our pictures.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a cocktail hour with wine and beer along with other drinks like soda, lemonade, etc.  One thing I've heard of people doing that I would love is flavored lemonades (like strawberry lemonade, raspberry lemonade, etc.).  
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our package includes cocktail hour! We had the option to include it in our package or not to reduce costs but we decided to include it as people will probably be hungry and like something to much on before their actual meal.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks so much fpaemp2011 that helped us out alot! This is exactly what we were looking for!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    11-12-11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicVisit The Knot! Visit Purple.weddings.com

Two Become One

November 12, 2011

288 invited
    163 accepted!
    9 can't make it
    116 haven't responded yet....
    RSVP Date October 12, 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board