Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Transportation - 40+ guests

Hi, everyone -

If you can't tell by my gazillion posts lately, FI and I are changing up our wedding plans a bit :)  We are going with the Calabria room at Maggiano's, for example, and are increasing our guest list.  We're SUPER excited!

Anyway, with this larger list, we need to figure out a way to get them from MB to Maggiano's and back.  We planned to do the DD bus, but it turns out they won't split the 2 hour minimum.  Therefore, we'd pay for 4 hours and probably only need 2-3. 

We'd prefer to go a less costly route for the way back.  Since we'll likely have somewhere between 35-45 guests, does anyone have suggestions?  We looked at 24-person party busses, but we'd obviously need two...

TIA :)

Re: Transportation - 40+ guests

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What we decided to do because we are going from MB to maggiano's as well. I am going to provide transportation TO maggianos only. on our wedding invites I am making a reception card that will have all the info about the reception and will state we will provide transportation TO maggianos only. That way I can get 1 bus for 2 hours and the bus will just make 2 trips. Take the first 25 then come back for the rest. No big deal. Alot of people have said after the reception people will want to go there own way anyways and go out and stuff. plus not everyone will be staying at MB so they will go to there own hotels anyway
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_transportation-40-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:a2a12949-d852-4732-bf8a-cd0d3e688d31Post:afcd541d-0748-4bf9-a3ec-165cc0e78553">Re: Transportation - 40+ guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]What we decided to do because we are going from MB to maggiano's as well. I am going to provide transportation TO maggianos only. on our wedding invites I am making a reception card that will have all the info about the reception and will state we will provide transportation TO maggianos only. That way I can get 1 bus for 2 hours and the bus will just make 2 trips. Take the first 25 then come back for the rest. No big deal. Alot of people have said after the reception people will want to go there own way anyways and go out and stuff. plus not everyone will be staying at MB so they will go to there own hotels anyway
    Posted by paigethomason[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response!  I think this is a nice idea in theory, but I'm curious about the etiquette on this one... are we supposed to provide transportation back?  Can I get away with renting a smaller 24-person bus and hoping a lot of people don't want to use it?  (I don't love that idea.)
  • Options
    afeliz79afeliz79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think Paige is right. After the reception people will want to go their own way. Most will probably not want to go straight to their hotel. They can find their way back down the strip. Providing transportation only to the reception is fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_transportation-40-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:a2a12949-d852-4732-bf8a-cd0d3e688d31Post:5f9a1c7b-1c7f-44a8-a06f-6ab9807f53c9">Re: Transportation - 40+ guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Transportation - 40+ guests : Thank you for your response!  I think this is a nice idea in theory, but I'm curious about the etiquette on this one... are we supposed to provide transportation back?  Can I get away with renting a smaller 24-person bus and hoping a lot of people don't want to use it?  (I don't love that idea.)
    Posted by nycheryl[/QUOTE]

I think at this point, your in the clear and shouldn't have to worry about getting anyone home.  I would not be offended if I was told that we had to get  back to my hotel room/party location after you just fed and watered me on your dime.  IPeople would have to cab it home if your reception was at your home town- I dont think this is any differrent.

Now getting 50 people to the Valley of Fire and back  (shudder)- is going to be painful...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not mandatory, but I think it is very courteous to provide transportation.

Here's what I would do- get a 24 passenger bus from Bell Trans (price on the website is $55/hour) for 1 or 2 hours and have it run as a shuttle.

Do you have any people who might not stay the whole reception (especially older guests)? Say your reception ends at 11. I would have the bus from 10-12. Let your guests know it will pick up at 10pm, 10:45pm, and 11:30pm, or something like that. I'm sure others have used the vehicles like this and whatever company would be able to give you a time estimate to go between your two locations.

The above is what I was planning to do, when I was planning my ceremony at the Flamingo.

The other option would be to rent two of those busses for 1 hour, and let people know one will leave at 11, and another will leave at 11:30. Or something like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Be careful on bells quotes. For us to rent a shuttle for 4.5 hours was over $500, but they wouldn't break down the cost for me or explain why it was so much more then $55/HR. Make sure you emal them first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys!!!  The shuttle idea makes a lot of sense.  I'd rather have the option to help people get down the strip (and possibly have less people use it).

I'll call Bell Trans and see what they can do!  :)  Thanks for the heads up on pricing, too, Ambrose.  Good luck with your transport ;)
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the shuttle idea - we actually hired two busses to take people to the wedding from Green Valley Ranch at the same time, but for transportation back, we hired one bus for two hours that made multiple trips (beginning before the reception ended for those who wanted to leave earlier).
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should offer transportation -- it doesn't mean people need to take you up on it. We had little cards handed out before the ceremony that read "The bus to ABC Restaurant will be leaving from the Tour and Travel Lobby of Mandalay Bay at whatever time. The bus will return to Mandalay Bay after dinner."
  • Options
    mu55inmu55in member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    This is one part of my planning I haven't figured out yet! I want to convey my guests from a meeting point on the stip to the chapel of the flowers and then onto magianno's. Obv during the ceremony the bus won't be in use.....what the heck do I need to book? Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards