Indiana
Options

Marriage License

Hi ladies!

My FI and I grew up and NW Indiana and are returning for our wedding this July.  We live in Texas so I've had to do a lot of researching online.  When it comes to getting the marriage license, however, I'm reading LOTS of differing information...  Do you need a physical, don't you?  How much did it cost?  Waiting period?  What documents are needed?  etc... 

What did you go through/have to do in order to get your marriage license??

Re: Marriage License

• Options
    edited December 2011
    http://marriagelicense.com/license/

This site is pretty helpful. You select you state and then county where you're getting your license and they list numbers to call, costs if they know it, etc. So you can look up the number for the clerks offic eyou'll need and call and ask all your questions, since they can vary from county to county. GL!
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We got ours in Fort Wayne. We didn't have to get physicals (I don't think Indiana does this anymore, or blood tests), I think it cost $30, you get the paperwork that day (after wedding, the signed license is returned after about 2 weeks), and we had to take our IDs and birth certificates.

We were in and out in 20 minutes. Simple and not stressful.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah no physicals for us either in South Bend.  Just take your ID's in, get the paperwork, pay & after the wedding the officiant will sign and send in.  You can wait for it to get sent back to you, but I actually went & picked it up after we got back from our honeymoon.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    did you have to be tested for Rubella like the site says? just curious... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you go here:

http://www.lakecountyin.org/portal/media-type/html/group/clerk/page/default.psml/js_pane/P-fca8a238f8-10004

it says:

arriage License Requirements
    Lake County, Indiana
    1. Applications must be at least 18 years of age.
    2. Both applicants must be present at the time of application with a valid driver's license or a state identification card, for proof of residency, indentity, and date of birth.
    3. If either person has been divorced within 6 months prior to application, that person must have a certified copy of the divorce decree, signed and dated, with a Judge's signature.
    4. If at least one of the applicants in a resident of Lake County, the fee is $18.00, payable in cash only.
    5. If neither applicant is an Indiana resident, the fee is $60, payable in cash only. The subsequent wedding must take place in Lake County, Indiana.
    6. If both applicants are Indiana residents, but live outside of Lake County, they must go to the county in which they live.
    7. Once the license is obtained, Indiana residents may be married anywhere in the state of Indiana. The records will be recorded in whatever county you applied in.
    8. If the couple is being married in another state, they must go to that state, and follow that state's requirements.
    9. The license is valid for 60 days, and can be used the same day it is applied for. There is no waiting period.
    10. Judges are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM without an appointment. Fee is required.

If applicant is under 18 years of age (17 years of age)

1. All above requirements apply.
    2. Both parents of underage applicant must be present, with their valid driver's license or state identification card, and a certified copy of their birth certificate.
    3. The under age applicant must have a certified copy of their birth certificate.
    4. If the under age applicant is not an Indiana resident, he or she cannot apply in Indiana.

For more information, please call:

219-648-6996
    219-755-3465

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No need for testing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JrschroederJrschroeder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great information! I was born and raised in IN but moved away a few years ago. We're getting married in IN and I was so confused by all the conflicting infomation out there. Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards