Missouri-Kansas City

Negotiating Prices

Is this an option with vendors? I'm brand new at this. My main focus right now is getting the reception venue. For a larger guestlist (250-300), the cost just adds up so much! Is it unheard of to fight for lower prices? It seems like I'll be able to save more using outside caterers, but sometimes it's not necessarily true (caterer fees, kitchen fees). Ugh, I don't know. Suggestions, anyone?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Negotiating Prices

• edited December 2011
    I've heard of other people negotiating prices down, but I was way too much of a pansy to try it myself.  I know it's a cliche, but really, the worst they can do is say no.  They (presumably) want your business, so I'd think they'd at least be willing to have a civil conversation about it, particularly with that many guests.
  • edited December 2011
    It's worth a shot.  Even if you can negotiate down the price (or get rid of) extra fees for outside catering, stuff like that adds up.  When we worked with our reception venue, we told them what we wanted, and what we were willing to pay; that went very well.

For caterers, it's much easier to tell them the number of people and your budget rather than choosing from a menu.  Let them figure out how to make it work.

In my experiences, almost everyone is willing to come down on prices or at least waive some fees (ie no delivery fee for flowers, cake).

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh, I totally know what you mean!! Some places will work with you, some will not. I have found that out the hard way. My FAVORITE place, the place I want our recepetion so bad won't work with us. And my fiance finally said if they won't work with us now what will do on our wedding? I thought it was a a good point and I'm over the heart break now, and looking for different recepetion places :)

I would TOTALLY go for it. Like said above, the worst they can say is no. But HELLO we are in a recession and money is tight! I would just make sure you tell them/show them you're willing to work with them. Like one place we were trying to negociate had an open bar built in to their price  and i suggested us just doing beer and wine, and that brought us down some!  ALSO walk away if they don't make you happy! You can always go back, but don't sign anythng if you're not happy!! GOOD LUCK!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I negotiated some.  First thing i did it with was my dress.  With the dress you can try to get free alteration or a discount for paying in full at the time of ordering.  I'm having a Sunday wedding so i got a discount off the DJ.  I'm currently trying to get a lower room rate at our hotel for the guest.  The worse they can say i no.  I doesn't hurt to ask :-p
  • prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, the worst they can do is say no and you pay the price you would have anyway...

Here's what I negotiated, because I am a cheapskate:
    -Flowers: $100 off for paying in cash
    -Cake: 10% or 15% (can't remember) off for paying in full
    -DJ: $100 off for a Sunday
    -Caterer: $2pp off for midnight snack (saves about $200+)
    -Trolley rental: 40% off... they gave me 20% off at first, and then I realized I should have had double that discount since it's a Sunday AND I booked at a bridal show, so I asked them to give me more off.

All of these I had to ask for, even the ones that were regular practice for these vendors. My venue already had a Sunday discount worked into the price of the rental and the bar, but if they hadn't I would have been haggling more. :)

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• kwagner1211kwagner1211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was able to get free linens and chair covers in the colors of my choosing thrown into the recption price. It's not much, but that was an extravagance that I was really wanting! I negotiated down on flowers too by asking to pick them up instead of paying the $100 delivery fee. We saved $100 on the DJ too by booking at the bridal show. So yes, there are ways and you don't have to be agressive about it. Also, work your connections. A lady in my mom's bunco group is making the home-made cream cheese mints I wanted and a friend of my fiance's family printed the invites for free as long as we paid the cost to send the materials back to his home town!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards